The 21 Things That Vegetarians Are Most Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

In most circumstances, vegetarians are able to peacefully coexist with meat-eaters, as diet isn’t usually a major point of conflict. However, every vegetarian has encountered people who just can’t seem to comprehend their choice of diet.  If you’re a vegetarian, there’s a good chance that you can relate to this list, and if you’re a meat-eater, please, please never say any of these things.

1. “But why are you a vegetarian?”

There are a lot of reasons. I don’t usually mind this question, but if you respond to my reasoning by giving a counter argument as to why I’m wrong, there’s a good chance that I’ll tune you out.

2. “So like… What would happen if you ate meat?”

Hmm…I’m not sure. I guess I would probably die, because being a vegetarian definitely means that I’m deathly allergic to meat.

3. “Does it offend you if I eat meat around you?”

How does that even make sense? Like most meat-eaters, the majority of vegetarians don’t get offended just because someone has a different lifestyle. I am very capable of coexisting with someone that is peacefully eating a hamburger.

4. “I don’t understand how vegetarians think that fake meat products taste good.”

While some brands of pseudo-meat products actually taste really good, I fully acknowledge that a lot of it is just plain gross. Just because I’m a vegetarian doesn’t mean that I don’t have taste buds.

5. “So, you’re telling me that bacon doesn’t smell good to you?”

Um, it doesn’t smell bad per say, it just doesn’t smell like something that I want to eat.

6. “Can you even get anything at this restaurant?”

Being a vegetarian also means that we’re very good at ordering off of menus. Besides, if we’re going to a restaurant that we’ve never been to before, we’ve probably already looked the menu up online, just in case.

7. “I tried being a vegetarian once, but then I smelled some bacon and it was all over.”

Wow, I’m so inspired by your struggle. Very #relatable.

8. “You aren’t a real vegetarian since you eat eggs.”

Veganism and vegetarianism are two different things. Please understand this.

9. “You know, it isn’t natural for a human not to eat meat. It’s just how we’re designed.”

I don’t think I accept that argument. Please look at a photo of any carnivorous animal’s teeth and let me know if they look like your teeth.

10. “I could never be a vegetarian because I don’t think I could eat vegetables all the time.”

How many times have you seen a vegetarian only eating vegetables for a meal? Yes, I eat vegetables, but I also eat lots of other things.

11. “Oh no, I forgot to order a cheese pizza. You can just pull the pepperoni off, right?”

Granted, some vegetarians are okay with this, but many are not. This one’s always pretty uncomfortable, because there isn’t an easy way to respectfully decline. Good rule of thumb: If something has been cooked with meat, most vegetarians will probably not be okay with eating it.

12. “Being a vegetarian is actually pretty unhealthy, because you can’t get all your nutrients.”

I’m not really buying this one, because I’ve been a vegetarian for five years, and guess what – I’m still kickin’.

13. “It must be hard for you to get protein since you don’t eat meat.”

Actually no, it really isn’t. Lucky for me, meat isn’t the only food with protein. Dairy? Eggs? Nuts? Beans? Honestly, most foods? Yeah, they all have protein in them.

14. “Oh, are you a vegetarian because you’re trying to lose weight?”

Nope, not even a little bit. Besides, if you started out with a healthy weight, becoming a vegetarian shouldn’t cause you to lose a significant amount of weight.

15. “Do you think you’ll ever not be a vegetarian?”

I don’t know, maybe. But for right now, I am, and I’m not itching to eat meat any time soon.

16. “That’s so cool, I’m a vegetarian too! But sometimes I’m really craving a hamburger, so I’ll cheat every now and again.”

I’m not sure you understand how this works.

17. “You do realize that plants are living things too, right?”

Please stop.

18. *makes animal noises while eating*

Do I even need to explain why this is so wrong?

19. “But what if you were stranded on an island and the only thing available was meat? What would you do?”

Hmm, lucky for me, that doesn’t sound like a scenario that I’ll likely ever find myself in. If, for some reason, I am in that situation, I guess I’ll figure it out when I get there.

20. “Aw, c’mon, you can eat this chicken. I won’t tell anyone; it doesn’t really count.”

What? Why do you think that vegetarians report to some sort of council that determine whether or not something “counts?” I am a vegetarian because I want to be. Also, in what world does chicken not count as meat?!

21. “But seriously…what about bacon?

Gahh, the dreaded bacon argument once again. Why are you people so obsessed with bacon? I don’t understand! It isn’t even that awesome!

Emily is a first year student at the University of Georgia from Columbus, Georgia and is currently pursuing a double degree in English and Education. She can often be found reading, gushing about her dog, or wasting an inappropriate amount of time on Netflix.