samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Packing Tips for Studying Abroad This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Let’s be honest here, every single time I have gone out of the country I have packed completely wrong and ended up having to buy clothes while abroad. Here are some tips to make sure you fit everyhing in your suitcase and make wise packing decisions! 

1. Make a packing list

First and foremost, make a comprehensive list of all the things you need to pack. This will make it so much easier for you to only pack what you actually need and to not forget the little things that you need to bring with you. This will also ensure that you don’t leave important documents at home. 

2. Pack Layers

Last summer I went to France and Spain. Although they are neighboring countries, their climates are very different. Spain was a consistent 100 degrees the entire time I was there, while France ranged from 70 to 90 the duration of my stay, so for each place I needed very different types of clothing. When studying abroad, it’s important that you stay mindful of the different climates that are normal for the area that you’re staying in. Such is the case when you spend an extended period of time in Europe. Obviously you and your study abroad buddies are going to want to trek to other European countries, so stay on top of the normal weather conditions for wherever you plan on visiting and pack accordingly.

3. Pack a good pair of walking shoes

This is key, especially if you’re going to Europe. Pack a good pair of walking shoes because walking or taking the metro is the main form of transportaion in large cities and all that stress on your feet might be a little too much for you to bear. 

4. Always pack some sort of rain gear

I went to Ireland packing summer clothes and no rain jacket. Little did I know that Ireland is consistently rainy and very cool in the summer. Moral of the story: you will never be able to avoid precipitation, so packing an umbrella or rain jacker is one of the best favors you can do for yourself. 

5. Always pack a day bag

Nothing shouts tourist quite like a backpack. I recommend packing a satchel so that you can keep it close to your side and minimize the your chances of being pick pocketed in crowded places.

6. Roll your clothes

This helps so much to fit so much more than you would have just folding your clothes like you would normally do. 

7. Only pack one week’s worth of clothes

I know it’s easier said than done, but you will save so much room for cool souvenirs if you only pack a weeks worth of clothing and do laundry along the way. There are many cheap laundromats located in Europe for you to choose from! 

8. Be aware of the customs in the country you are visiting

Until I stayed with a French family, I thought it was totally acceptable to go into the city wearing shorts, a tank top and a back pack. Little did I know the proper clothing for going into the city was pants, a satchel bag and a light top. Making the correct fashion choice in France caused me to avoid unwanted catcalls and unwanted attention by pick pocketers. Believe it or not, how you dress can save you from a lot of awkward situations! 

9. Be aware of where you’re staying and what accomodations are included

Because most of us are college students, staying in hostels is always an option. Make sure that you do proper research as to where you are staying so you can know if you need to bring things like clean sheets, towels, and pillows. 

10. Don’t stress about packing all the “right” things

I promise when you get to wherever cool place you’re going to, the last thing that’ll be on your mind is the clothes you packed. Just sit back, relax and enjoy all the new experiences coming your way!

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.