This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The military trend is back for fall, and it’s better than ever!

Military influences were seen in the fall 2013 collections of designers like Michael Kors and Prabal Gurung. This trend has both an edgy feel and a great sense of versatility, which is perfect for the collegiette who wishes to stay on top of the latest trend while keeping her budget in check.

The key to pulling off this trend is to buy more simple military-inspired pieces instead of those that are over-the-top. This way, you can easily incorporate them into your current wardrobe.

Here are some easy ways to master this look:

Camouflage has been a very popular print recently and can easily become very overwhelming if not worn correctly. Choose to wear one piece containing this print and let it be the highlight of your outfit like the skinny jeans above from Forever 21. Balance the bold print with neutral colors, and keep the rest of your outfit simple.

This army green twill jacket is the perfect transition piece from summer to fall. It’s light-weight and great for layering. It’s also an easy throw-on piece to keep your favorite dress from the summer relevant well into cooler seasons.

Update your favorite summer piece or toughen up a feminine dress or skirt with some combat boot like these by Steve Madden. You can easily wear these boots with jeans and a top or a skirt and a sweater for a cute look with a tough twist.

However you choose to incorporate this trend into your style, it’ll definitely be an eye-catcher next time you walk around campus wearing your new military-inspired piece.

Now, go forth and shop!

Sources: 
Forever21.com  
Gbyguess.com   
Journeys.com

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.