Tyler Alvarez ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Tyler Alvarez is this week’s Campus Cutie! He’s a senior from Tampa majoring in wildlife ecology and conservation. He’s an animal-loving 21-year-old who has graced the UF campus as the president of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, a First Year Florida peer leader, a Campus Diplomat and a 2014 Preview staffer.

Tyler loves to sing, read, work out, cuddle kittens and chill out in his spare time by playing video games and watching anime. As a senior, he has many memories at UF, but one memory especially stands out to him. “My freshman year I was in the Gator marching band, and I had never been to a Gator football game. So when I first marched on the field for pre-game and heard the roar of the crowd and saw everyone cheering it gave me goose bumps. I’m pretty sure I stopped playing at one point, simply gawking at my surroundings. I yelled ‘I’m getting this date tattooed on my arm!’ The hype was there but the ink never made it to my skin,” he said.

You’ll see Tyler picking Starbucks over Dunkin’ Donuts any day, mainly because of chai tea lattes. His favorite time of the year is also coming around, as he’s a huge Christmas lover. “It doesn’t have to be on that specific day; I just love the entire month of December because of how high-spirited everyone is and the giving nature that flourishes through communities. It’s the one time of the year I don’t get side-eyed for listening to the Michael Buble Christmas album, which is just as good to listen to in April I might add,” he said. His favorite restaurant in Gainesville is Olive Garden because it reminds him of home and his family.

Sorry to break this to you, ladies, but Tyler is in a relationship. He’s been with the same lucky gal for two years, which is now his longest relationship. When asked what he looks for in a significant other, Tyler said, “They have to be comfortable with themselves around me. I’m not looking for someone who is flawless; I think a woman is prettier without makeup. I want someone who I can goof around with and be real with.” On a first date, he would love to go volunteer to play with kittens and puppies. “Even if it goes bad, then we still volunteered and got to play with kittens and puppies. It also helps weed out someone who may not be an animal person, which isn’t someone I can see myself being in a relationship with,” he said.

After graduation, Tyler hopes to work in a protected nature area or possibly a zoo. He also hopes to be near his girlfriend so they can spend time together. His dream job is to raise baby animals in a zoo. “I love babies and I love animals, so why not combine the two? I basically want to bottle feed and nuzzle tiger cubs, bear cubs and anything else that has fur and is adorable.” One day Tyler hopes to visit all of the well-known nature parks like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon.

This nature-loving Campus Cutie is sure to make an impact after graduation. For now, you can find him studying at Marston Science Library or cuddling a puppy or two.

Kelly is a sophomore studying telecommunications and English at UF. She is the Campus Cutie writer and couldn't be more excited for her first semester on the Her Campus UFL team! Kelly is an avid traveler, coffee lover, and Netflix junkie. She is also a member of Delta Zeta and a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. Kelly spent her summer at WWSB ABC 7 as a digital media intern. She hopes to one day produce and write for television in a city like New York or Toronto.