My Personal Thoughts on Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

You’re likely aware that feminism is currently a huge topic. But I often think there are misconceptions about the term. People shy away from it, fearful that proclaiming themselves a feminist could give them a certain kind of reputation. And that’s one of the most disillusioned things I’ve ever heard. Being a feminist simply means believing in the social, political and economic equality of women and men. Being a feminist doesn’t mean that you “hate men.” In fact, it’s quite the opposite. It’s wanting an even playing field. What is the issue here? Why is that such a difficult goal to accomplish? Are there truly fathers, brothers, uncles and men altogether who could look into the eyes of the women they love and respect and say that they aren’t worthy of the same opportunities?

What is this archaic concept that women wouldn’t be able to successfully do the same things that men do? We aren’t looking for a head start in the race — we’re simply looking for the opportunity to compete. It’s like a clause: “She’s a talent architect — for a girl,” “She’s good at sports — for a girl,” or “She’s a pretty powerful CEO — for a woman.” It should not be a clause if someone is capable. Gender doesn’t specify what you can and can’t be successful at. Women shouldn’t be deduced to no more than a handful of adjectives. Sometimes it comes across as though that’s how it is. “I’m surprised — she’s smart and beautiful.” Well, why wouldn’t she be both? Why is that a strange concept? We have to stop allowing these statements to be made. We live in the age of assumptions. Just because my nails are painted and I like to watch makeup tutorials shouldn’t reduce your guess of what my intelligence could possibly be. My leisure activities shouldn’t be expected to come from a certain list of stereotypes.

If you don’t consider yourself a feminist, that’s a thought you should reevaluate. It’s what’s best for our future, our country, our workforce and, ultimately, it’s what’s right. Are you raising your girls to not be afraid to ask a question, or demand equal pay or make it through the day without apologizing for having an opinion? The answer should certainly be yes.

Photo credit: Hdwallpaperg.com