How to Shorten the Distance in your Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Sometimes people who are far away can make us feel better than the people right next to us. It’s no secret that long-distance relationships are difficult. They take dedication, patience and a whole lot of love. But with the right person, all the time spent apart is worth the time you get to spend together. With these romantic and caring ideas, hopefully the distance between you and your loved one won’t seem so far.

1. Skype should be your best friend 
We’re lucky to live in an age where technology allows us to see someone without actually being in the same room. Whether it’s once a week or once a day, Skyping your significant other is much more satisfying than a simple text or call. Obviously all forms of communication become sacred, but a Skype call is the most personal and almost always results in happy jitters of anticipation to see his or her face.

2. Start a countdown 
LDRs always give you something to look forward to: seeing your special someone. Create a countdown marking the next time you two will reunite. Whether you fill a jar with the appropriate number of Hershey’s kisses or keep a running tally with an Expo marker, a tangible reminder of when you’ll be together again is a great way to make the wait a little easier.

3. Unleash your inner romantic 
Although it’s old school, sending hand-written letters and postcards to one another is one of the cutest things you can do. Not only is it always fun to receive surprises in the mail, but also a love note from your favorite person will definitely put a smile on your face. Bonus: I keep all the letters I’ve received and read them again when I’m having a particularly bad day or missing my boyfriend a little more than usual.

4. Say something sweet 
No one can deny that they like a caring message every now and then. Whether this entails an “I miss you” or just simple reminders of your love for them, little things like that ensure the feelings never fade. Although it may be corny, sometimes the things we need to hear the most are things we already know and just want to be reassured of.

5. Do something together when you’re apart 
This will make you automatically feel closer. Whether you watch a TV show or movie simultaneously or read the same book at the same time, sharing the experience will help ease some of the heartache.

With these helpful tips, LDRs won’t seem quite so bad. Remember, nothing worth having comes easy. If you can be successful at long distance, rest assured your relationship is golden. 

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.