GatorGlam: Beat The Florida Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I’d like to share with you two of the biggest obsessions in my life: makeup and the Gators. My name is Patty, and as your new makeup guru, I will bring these two together by creating makeup and styling looks targeted to Gator girls everywhere. Whether it’s a tutorial on a fun orange and blue look or tips on how to perfect that smoky eye for a night downtown, GatorGlam is here to help!

The first month of classes is finally here, and excitement is in the air — along with intolerable, terrible humidity. From heading to classes and club meetings to meeting up with friends at the Reitz, your day will be busy enough — the last thing you need to worry about is makeup melting or smudging thanks to humid, hot temperatures. Don’t sweat it, I have a few tips and tricks to help you beat the heat and keep you fresh-faced all day long!

Before you apply any makeup, remember to apply sunscreen. It is extremely important to protect your skin daily from the harmful UV rays, especially in the sunshine state! If you are used to wearing foundation on a daily basis, I recommend making the switch to a tinted moisturizer — it is extremely lightweight yet provides even coverage, and it will stay put throughout the entire day. To set this in, apply a light mineral powder with a big fluffy brush. Your makeup will not budge!

Instead of caking on powder blushes and eye shadows that will surely melt off, it is a safer bet to use cream products instead. They last much longer and you need less product to make the same impact, leaving you feeling airy and fresh. Apply a cream blush stick to the apple of your cheeks and blend generously — this will assure a natural looking glow. The same goes for eye shadows — blend, blend, blend!

Apply gel eyeliner instead of pencil, since the latter is very easily smudged. As for lips, make sure to protect them with lip balm that includes SPF, and then apply a lip-stain that will last for hours—lip gloss is a bit too sticky for the Florida heat.

You are ready to face the heat and humidity that surrounds the heart of the Gator Nation, and this makeup routine is so simple, it will only take five minutes to apply. Busy schedules might make you break a sweat, but your makeup will always stay sweat-proof!

For a how-to video tutorial and list of products that I used, click here: