burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Gator Glam: The (Re)Introduction of Bag Charms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Celebrities like Sofía Vergara, Cara Delevingne and Lily Aldridge have recently been seen sporting strange, tiny additions to their purses. These embellishments are actually cute, small handbag charms that look great on any purse. While they can fetch a hefty price, they’re actually becoming increasingly popular (and cheaper) in the fashion world. Yes, they can be pricey, but they can also be quite affordable. They are definitely an upcoming trend to look out for.

How in the world did these things originate?Bag charms, also known as purse charms, have always been present in fashion. Brands such as Harajuku Lovers, Louis Vuitton and Juicy Couture have carried bag charms, but it wasn’t until earlier this year that they started to surge in sales. Fashion powerhouse Fendi recently released a line of small, fuzzy pom-pom like charms that can cost upwards of a whopping $900. In addition, Fendi creative director Karl Lagerfeld debuted a line of charms in his image, and one named the “Karlito” had a $1,450 price tag. Imagine how many Relish cheeseburgers you could buy with that money!

Okay, that’s cool, but why should I pay attention?They may be small in size, but bag charms add personality to any purse or luggage accessory. Like their name suggests, they add a little charm wherever they’re put, whether it be a backpack, clutch or even a wallet. Attach a fun, colorful charm to any neutral-toned bag, and it instantly lightens an otherwise serious mood. Bag charms are also great because they allow a heightened level of personalization and individuality. Sure, anyone can have the same blue satchel from H&M, but with a personal handbag charm you now stand out from the crowd.

Where do I buy a charm that won’t cost me about a semester’s worth of tuition at UF?For starters, Etsy is a great website to look at for lower-priced, handmade bag charms. EBay and Amazon are also good for looking at some designer and vintage deals. Surprisingly, Juicy Couture and Marc Jacobs offer charms or key chains for less than $20, which is relatively cheap compared to some of their other products!

It might seem like bag charms have been always been around with charm bracelets and charm necklaces. It wasn’t until 2013 that they seemed to catch the eye of many in the fashion scene, and it seems they’re been here to stay. While these cute lil’ accessories have been present for a while, they are ready for you to take one home. Just don’t accidentally buy the higher prices charms… a girl has to pay for her rent and food, am I right?

Photo credits: Bridget Fleming, Louis Vuitton, Etsy, Styleblazer

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.