Wellness > Health

Fitness with Finesse: 4 Tips to Stay Slim During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Now that final exams are winding down and we made it through another semester, it’s time to finish the year strong. The holidays are a time to relax with your family while baking home-cooked meals and desserts, but don’t let the heft of the holidays get the best of you. With these four tips, you will be sure to maintain your weight over the break!

1. Control portion sizesReward yourself for surviving this semester with one brownie, not three. You don’t have to completely deprive yourself of all the delicious desserts that go hand-in-hand with holiday spirit. With willpower, you can still enjoy a treat without packing on the unnecessary calories. Holiday parties are going to be filled with buffets of fried appetizers and numerous cakes, so go with a game plan in mind. Have a light and healthy snack before to fill yourself up and prevent you from overeating. Always think, do I really need this? Am I actually hungry, or do I only want it because it’s offered?

2. Stay hydratedDrinking water not only flushes your system and nourishes your body, but it also quenches hunger. Thirst can often be mistaken for hunger, and we eat to subside the feeling when we should be drinking water instead. The more water you drink, the more full you will feel. Try to drink at least one bottle of water before or during a meal. Water eliminates a false sense of hunger, but if you are still hungry after drinking a bottle of water, then you know your hunger is real, and you have the green light to indulge. Keep a water bottle with you at all times, and refill it throughout the day.

3. Listen to your bodyIf your body is hungry, feed it. Don’t wait to binge on a big dinner because you will overeat and regret it afterward. It is inevitable that you will be eating more over the break, so make sure you still balance this with a diet rich in healthy food. Your body still needs nutrients, so neutralize any excess carbohydrates, sugars and fats with protein, fruits, vegetables and vitamins. Wake up every morning, and eat a healthy breakfast to get you ready for the day.

4. Get up and exerciseExercising is inescapable. There are no “I have to study” excuses over Winter Break, so go for a run, go on a bike ride, do some at-home workouts, or hit the gym. Your body will appreciate it after all the stress it went through during finals week. You’re most likely not going to lose weight during the holidays, but you can keep yourself from gaining any weight by counteracting your holiday diet with exercise. Just remember, it takes about two miles of running to burn off one chocolate glazed donut!

Keep these few tips in mind while you’re indulging and relaxing over the holidays. Have a happy and healthy Winter Break, collegiettes!