Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: It’s A Salad Fiesta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Collegiettes, I want to introduce you to the ultimate salad. Often called either a Mexican or southwest salad, it is a tangy burst of color, taste and nutrition. You know how your mother used to always lecture you about eating a colorful plate of food when you were younger? Well, this one’s for you, mom! It’s healthy, delicious and low in calories, so what more could you ask for? The best way I can describe this recipe is a party in a bowl, so just think of it as a healthier version of a chicken taco, but prettier!

What you’ll need:– 1 cup of cooked and sliced chicken- 1/2 cup of frozen and thawed corn- 1/2 cup of chopped green onion- 1/2 can of rinsed black beans- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese- 1/2 avocado, peeled and chopped- A handful of romaine lettuce- 1/2 cup of tortilla strips- 2 tablespoons of cilantro- Creamy avocado lime dressing

How to make it:1. Chop the romaine, onions and tomatoes into desired sizes.2. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and stir.3. Divide the salad into bowls. (It should make about two servings.)4. Top with slices of avocado, tortilla strips and two tablespoons of cilantro.5. Drizzle on the creamy avocado lime dressing, and enjoy!

If you really want to get creative, you could even try making your own dressing, but buying the dressing may just be easier. This salad is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy all at once. The best part is that it is so rich in flavor that you’ll feel like you’re eating unhealthy, but all the ingredients are fresh and full of healthy nutrients! If you have any leftovers (which you probably won’t), make sure you cover and refrigerate them for up to three days at most. Get choppin’, collegiettes!

Photo credits: Reneeskitchenadventures.com