Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: Have A Happy DIY Birthday!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

What comes around once a year and is something you couldn’t exist without it? No, not Orange Is the New Black… your birthday! With it being Her Campus’ Birthday Week, why not have a celebration? Whether you’re commemorating your own birthday or trying to make someone else’s day extra special, these DIYs are your helping hands in planning a day dedicated to eating as much cake as you want with no regrets. Without further ado, here are two inexpensive, adorable crafts to spice up the big day!

1. The gift: Blissful yarn monogram Okay, I know what you’re thinking… It’s the thought that counts, right? Surprise your BFF with an awesome homemade craft that she won’t think twice about putting on display!

What you need: 

• Paper mache letter
  • Glue gun
  • Yarn
  • Paintbrush
  • Acrylic paint

How to make it:

1) Paint the letter with one coat of acrylic paint. This serves as a base for the yarn wrapping.

2) Begin by gluing the loose end of yarn on the back of the bottom of the letter.

3) Gently begin to wrap the yarn around the letter, carefully sectioning the yarn close together and neatly.

4) After the entire letter is wrapped with yarn, glue the remaining loose end to the back of the letter.

Voilà! You have a simple, yet unique, letter to give to your friend on his or her special day!

2. The décor: Festive birthday banner What’s a birthday without decorations?! The best way to show your love without overdoing it is by making this chic, reusable birthday banner!

What you’ll need:

• Scrapbook paper
  • Twine
  • Sticker letters
  • Ruler
  • Scissors
  • Flag stencil
  • Glue gun

How to make it:

1) Trace and cut a small flag shape.

2) Repeat step 1; make sure to have enough to spell out your word of choice.

3) Glue the backs of the flags to a piece of twine.

4) Hang the sign to surprise your friend when she gets back home!

This day out of the 365 days we live each year is an excuse to enjoy life and commemorate your journey. Happy birthday to you, and happy 5th birthday, Her Campus!

Stephanie is a freshman studying Biology with minors in Spanish and Chemistry. This is her first year working with Her Campus UFL, but she has blogging experience while interning for TheSmartGirlsGroup.com. She is also State President of Florida HOSA: Future Health Professionals. On her spare time, Steph loves to read, watch OITNB, travel, play with her dogs, and eat Karma Cream with her friends. You can often find her on Netflix at Library West, procrastinating studying, or eating some Krishna lunch while laying on the field. Most of all, this girl is frugal, creative, and determined, so you can only imagine the wild DIYs she has coming your way!