Camp Boggy Creek Cabin Staff Counselor Jillian Roberts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Jillian RobertsAge: 21Year: seniorMajor: communication sciences and disordersMinor: health scienceHometown: Miami, FL

Her Campus: What was your position at Camp Boggy Creek?Jillian Roberts: “I was a cabin staff counselor.”

HC: How did you get involved with the camp?JR: “I started volunteering at Camp Boggy Creek two summers ago. I had a lot of friends who had volunteered in the past, and they told me that I would love it. I love working with kids, and I have a lot of experience working with kids with various disabilities. I decided to volunteer there for a week two summers ago, and I fell in love with it. I went another week, and then I decided to work there last summer.”

HC: What was your favorite part of working at Camp Boggy Creek?JR: “My favorite part is having the kids realize the importance of camp because for them all year long, they’re normal kids but with a medical illness — whether that be cancer, asthma, diabetes, heart disease, anything. There are a lot of things they’re told they can’t do outside of camp, but at camp they’re told they can do everything. I think that’s really a beautiful thing for these kids to know that at camp they can be normal kids and don’t have any restrictions.”

HC: And the biggest challenge?JR: “I think the biggest challenge is every week — there are eight sessions and eight weeks — so we get a new set of campers each week. The biggest thing was the small transition time between weeks because you get attached to the campers when you’re with them for an entire week. Saying ‘see you later’ to them and just having to be strong no matter what these kids are going through. You have to be strong for them because if you’re scared, then they’re going to be scared, too.”

HC: What other things are you involved in on campus?JR: “I’m the president of NSSLHA, which is the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association, and I’m vice president of IMPACT Autism. I’m a volunteer at Balance 180, which is an adaptive sports and gymnastics program that’s part of the Special Olympics program. I’m also a sister of AEPhi (Alpha Epsilon Phi), and I work in a research lab.”

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?JR: “I’m going to grad school for audiology, and hopefully I’ll have a husband and some kids, but who knows what will happen.”

HC: What is your dream job?JR: “To be a pediatric cochlear implant audiologist and maybe do research with that as well. To be able to travel to other countries and research.” 

HC: What are your hobbies?JR: “I like to run, so I’ve done two half marathons and just signed up for my third. I do yoga, I like to travel, and I’m taking scuba diving right now. I also know sign language.”

HC: What is a fun fact about you?JR: “I was a torchbearer in the London 2012 Olympic torch relay. I was sponsored by Coca Cola. They sponsored 22 Americans to go to London and be a part of the Olympic torch relay. I was nominated and then selected, and they paid for my flight there with a plus one. I went with my sister and then my oldest sister graduated and met us there, so she got to come with us, too. After, the three of us backpacked through Europe for a month, so it was a really awesome experience.”

HC: Who is your role model?JR: “My mom. She has four kids, and every day I’m just impressed with everything that she did for us. I’d like to say we’re all going down successful paths and we’re all our own unique individuals, but at the same time we have a strong sense of who we are. I’d really like to attribute that to my parents and my mom for always being there and supporting me with everything I wanted to do.”   

HC: What advice would you give to new students?JR: “Do what makes you happy. There are so many paths, not just one way to do college. So many different organizations to get involved with and so many people to meet, and this is the time to explore all of that. A lot of times people will get upset if they don’t get into a certain something, but there’s so many things out there. Explore yourself throughout the university setting.”

HC: What is your favorite memory at UF so far?JR: “I’m the biggest UF gymnastics fan, so I think some of my favorite memories have been getting to sing The National Anthem at the gymnastics meets. I’m on the floor with the gymnasts and the cheerleaders. It’s really cool to be able to look out at the audience and see all the orange and blue and see all the cheering. They’re not cheering for me, but it’s just really cool to have those experiences.”

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!