5 Reasons You Should be Watching Orange is the New Black Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With the exception of Lost and Grey’s Anatomy, Orange is the New Black is the greatest series I have ever watched. This Netflix-produced show is about female inmate Piper Chapman who quickly goes from a quiet life in the upper-middle class to being an inmate in a women’s federal prison. But if my word is not enough to get you hooked on the show, here are several reasons to start watching:

1. Famous Faces OITNB is home to a few familiar faces, but the most notable are those of Jason Biggs and Laura Prepon. Biggs, best known for his role in the American Pie film series, plays Larry Bloom, Piper’s fiancé. Although Prepon sports jet-black hair and tattoos, she is still unmistakably the same old Donna from That ‘70s Show. In OITNB, she plays Piper’s international drug-dealing former girlfriend.

2. Kick-Butt Theme Song The song in the intro to OITNB was written by the talented Regina Spektor. You may recognize her from the song “Fidelity.” Fun fact: The faces of the inmates in the intro are the faces of actual prison inmates.

3. Two Words: Patti Mayonnaise ‘90s kids watching OITNB will be in heaven as they reminisce about when Doug was still on TV because the actress who plays Yoga Janet is also the voice of Patti on the hit Nickelodeon series. Constance Shulman has quickly become a fan favorite among many viewers.

4. Literary References Bookworms are going to salivate at the many literary references throughout OITNB. Dozens of classics are referenced and can be seen throughout the series,including: Harry Potter, Pride and Prejudice, 50 Shades of Grey, and Hamlet. There is even an entire blog dedicated to all the books and authors featured in OITNB at booksofoitnb.tumblr.com.

5. Piper is a real person! The greatest part of OITNB is that it is based on a true story. Chapman’s expriences are based on the real life of Piper Kerman, who wrote the autobiographical novel, Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison. And the book is even more addicting than the TV show, if that is even possible! So if you blow right through the first season, you can read the book until the premiere of season two this June.

If you’re looking for a new show to distract you from homework and studying that isn’t the ever-so mainstream Pretty Little Liars or Gossip Girl, OITNB is just the show for you. Filled with relationships, drugs, and scary prison inmates, it’s hard to keep your eyes off this comedy-drama series!

Photo Credits: www.infomagazine.com www.nextpittsburgh.com

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.