20 Reasons Why Your Roommate is Your Soulmate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Do you remember the night before moving into UCSD for the very first time? Our older siblings terrified us with myths of the unavoidable Freshman 15, tales of the huge campus on which we would definitely get lost, and stories of professors who didn’t care about your grade. However, the stories that frightened us the most were the legendary, horrific roommate stories. Some of us were damned by the Room Assignment Gods and we couldn’t wait to go our separate ways, while some of us were blessed and found our future bridesmaids. If you got lucky like me, your roommates are probably your soulmates.

1. After a long day of school and work, you bombard your roommate with details of your day (although you probably already texted them the jist of it)

2. Even though you share the same room, your roommate’s bed is also your bedOne King Sized Bed > Two Twin Sized Beds

3. Cleaning days are filled with loud music, swifter sweepers, and lots of dancing
I mean, lots of dancing

4. When someone offends you, you know your roommate will be just as offended

5. You spend enormous amounts of hours watching movies, youtube videos, and your favorite shows together
Netflix is neverending

6. You have two (or more) closets
And yet, you still have nothing to wear 

7. In the rare case your roommate wants to stay in while you go out, you know that when you get home, your roommate will tuck you into bed and make sure you get a proper nights rest

8. You can count on your roommate to be your study buddy 
Or your procrastination buddy

9. Grocery shopping usually takes over an hour, but you still ask your roommate to go with you every time
Haagen-Dazs or Ben and Jerry’s? That is the question

10. Road trips feel super short because you are too busy jamming out to your favorite songs for the whole six hours.

11. You can argue with your roommate, but you know you can’t go past an hour being mad at each other. Both of you apologize and everything is back to normal the next day, or even better, you guys are even closer than before.

12. You visit touristy cities and vacation spots like an old couple

13. During the holidays, you make sure you keep in touch because it is too drastic of a change from seeing your roommate every day, to not seeing her at all
Cold turkey is harsh

14. Your roommate knows exactly what you are going to order the moment you enter a restaurant.

15. You have somebody who will give your his/her honest opinion on your outfit, hair cut, papers, and your new crush

16. Your family is their family

17. You get excited when you find out your roommate just got that job or internship he/she has been wanting (and vice versa)

18. You know all your roommate’s funny and embarrassing stories from when they were two years old, until now.

19. Regardless of your embarrassing past, your roommate will look past your flaws and glitches

20. Your roommate will find a way to make your day good. I mean, come on, your roommate is your lobster 

Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.