Where to Stop on Your Summer Road Trip Along the California Coast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

1. Laguna Beach

Laguna is like a little slice of paradise. The town itself has a trolley that can take you through the galore of chic and upscale shops. If you’re bold enough to walk down to “Thousands Steps Beach,” which is quite literally a thousand steps and back, you will get to take in the shimmering blue ocean and the multitude of tide pools and sea caves.

2. Santa Monica

The Santa Monica Pier is quintessential to the Californian aesthetic, not to mention it’s loads of fun. The top of the ferris wheel is the perfect place to spot celebs sunning on the beach. Stop by Urth Cafe afterwards. You’re sure to see someone famous, or at least someone who looks like they’re famous.

3. Balboa Park, San Diego

Cruise through Balboa Park in San Diego on a Sunday afternoon. The happy atmosphere consists of musicians, street performers, and food vendors lining the sides of the road. Throw a coin in the fountain, ride the gondola at the world famous San Diego Zoo, see an imax movie about wildlife at the Science Center, or just have a picnic at the Botanical Garden.

4. Big Sur

Big Sur is a rural mountain community that caters to nature lovers. You will travel over a massive concrete bridge to find a haven of natural hot springs, waterfalls, and fauna filled hiking trails. Save some money, rough it, and go camping. The soothing sounds of the ocean will sing you to sleep.

5. Solvang

Get cultured and stay a night in this quaint little dutch town. The smell wafting out of the bakeries will make your mouth water and the friendliness of the locals will make your heart melt. Admire the colorful architecture as you cycle around town on your bike. Stop in to some of the boutiques for unique finds!

6. Santa Cruz

Head to the Wharf in Santa Cruz for some world class fish and chips and to-die-for clam chowder. Take a walk on the beach and enjoy the earthy vibes of the inhabitants. Drive up into the mountains to find yourself completely surrounded by beautiful green trees of all different species.

7. San Francisco

San Francisco is a crucial stop for any California road trip. Indulge yourself in chocolate at Ghiradelli’s, buy some fireworks in Chinatown, take a mysterious ferry ride to Alcatraz Island, or admire some modern art at SF MOMA. The possibilities are endless.

Taylor is a first year from San Diego, California. When Taylor isn't writing or journaling, you can find her shopping, playing soccer, or hanging by the beach. Her ambitious goal is to one day become Editor in Chief of a major fashion magazine.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.