Waltzing into Our Hearts: Meet Russell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Russell McClay

Hometown: Carmichael, CA

Year: Senior

Major: Biopsychology

Celebrity Crush: Hugh Jackman (Man crush)

What made you choose UCSB?

When I was touring around universities as a senior in high school, I felt a sense of belonging at UCSB not just from the enticing ocean that was just a few feet away from campus, but from the charismatic people I came across there. There really is a wonderful variety of people here, only some that I’ve had the privilege of meeting, and it’s kept me here every year.

How did you become involved (and now President) of the Cotillion Dance Club here at UCSB?

My mom will always have bragging rights to my dancing success and constantly reminds me of it. I was on the phone with her heading toward the UCEN when I saw a table set up for Cotillion with people dancing Waltz. I thought about passing it up, but my mom was very persistent with me trying it out, so I took a flyer and ended up really enjoying it not just for the instruction offered in the club, but more so the people within it. From there I spent more time doing club activities and practices and was nominated to become an officer of Cotillion my second year there. After a pretty rocky, but successful year, I formed deeper bonds with the club and wanted Cotillion to thrive as it always had when I just started. So, I was nominated as president and now have the chance to give back to the club that’s given me a lifetime of memories.

How long have you been dancing?

Technically, I started when I was about 7 doing tap, jazz, and hip hop for about 2 years but then stopped, until I started ballroom dancing at the end of my freshmen year. So I’ve been ballroom dancing for almost 3 years.

What is your favorite dance move to bust out at a party?

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in dancing, especially Latin, it’s that there is always time for a body roll.

Are you involved in any other clubs or activities?

No, I like to keep things relatively simple and focus on one project at a time. I have always wanted to get back into soccer again though.

What one word would your friends use to describe you?

Dad. Call it weird (because our whole club is) but my humor, my protectiveness, and my expectations on others all have made people jokingly say, “Thanks Dad,” whenever I push or congratulate hardworking members.

Where can we find you on the weekends?

Either on a dance floor, at home playing games with friends, or taking care of busy work.

Lastly, what is your most memorable moment at UCSB?

I’ll never forget my first day at Cotillion, which taught me so much in such a small amount of time. The dances being taught were not the only new experiences for me; it was the sense of family away from home. I learned to just be myself and that I should look for acceptance in others and myself will follow. After the dance lessons were over, I talked with the instructor about my struggles with the dance, and he helped tremendously with just a few pointers. The entire club went out to eat at Silvergreens afterwards, and it was the first time I hadn’t eaten alone in Isla Vista. This warm and welcoming nature I experienced from day one has shaped me into the kind of president I aspire to be always welcoming and able to help in any scenario.

My name is Lisa Raub, and I am fourth year here at the University of California Santa Barbara. I am an English Major with a minor in Professional Writing. I studied abroad in Paris and London, traveling everywhere from Belgium to Spain to Italy, basically leaving Europe completely broke but extremely happy. I can often be found with a dog-eared book or an almost illegible journal beside me. When I am not reading or writing, I am usually watching A LOT of Netflix or soaking up the sun. Follow my insta: @lisawantspizza
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.