UCSB’s The Voice: Nicole Barnekow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Nicole Barnekow

Year: 4th year

Major(s)/minor(s): Theater with an emphasis in playwriting

Whether she’s sipping on some Diet Coke while listening to “I Know You” by Skylar Grey or playing her favorite video game, you can catch UCSB’s very own songbird singing.

Fun fact(s): My dream career would actually be as a voice actress for video games and cartoons (like Frozen or Tangled, how cool would that be!).

Nicole studied abroad last spring through a program called Semester at Sea. They had a ritual when they crossed the equator they could shave their heads, which she proudly did!

What is your favorite genre of music?

I like pretty much anything that I can sing, so mostly pop, hip hop, and country.

What artists inspire you to sing the music you do or encourage you to keep singing?

Christina Aguilera, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé

Why do you enjoy singing so much?

I was once told that singing is a controlled scream. Singing, and writing in particular, allow me to release pent up emotions. It allows me to say what I can’t formulate in day-to-day conversation. I can organize my thoughts, and turn chaos into beauty. I love going to a room with good acoustics where no one can hear me, and literally singing at the top of my lungs. It makes me feel free and safe.

How else are you artistic? Do you dance, play an instrument, paint, draw, etc.?

I write demented poetry. I love building random things. I’ve made metal Christmas cards, a wire tree, and a custom bookshelf.

Do you remember when you wrote your first song? What was it about? What inspired you to write it?

I wrote my first song when I was 11. It’s called “Invisible.” I’ve always had trouble writing “happy” songs. This one is written from the perspective of a mother who was killed and is looking at her family. She can see them, but they cannot see her; she is invisible. I honestly don’t know where it came from, but most likely I was feeling like no one could see me, and I created a story to say what I was feeling without actually making it super personal. In a lot of my early songs, I always created a distance between myself and the material. I wasn’t ready to be completely vulnerable and talk directly about myself.

What song are you currently working on?

I’ve been playing around with a song called “I Don’t Play Nice.” It’s about playing games in love. I recently got friend-zoned, so of course, I had to go release my crazy in a song. I’m not sure if the world will ever hear that one, though.

What artist(s) inspires you to write the kind of music you do?

Probably Taylor Swift. She is living my dream, I mean she’s even the spokesperson for Diet Coke!

How often do you practice your singing? Do you take lessons; have you ever taken any singing lessons? Practice on your own? How often?

I was in choir for four years in middle school and high school (until the program was cut), but I have never taken any formal lessons. I don’t have set schedule for practicing. I tend to use my songs and writing in general to vent, so when something is bothering me, I tend to sing more. I don’t usually sing in my apartment because I worry about disturbing my neighbors. I don’t like imposing or forcing anyone to listen to me, so when I’m singing for fun or for practice, I usually like to go where no one can hear. Since I live in an apartment with four other girls, that doesn’t happen very often. Now, if someone actually wants to listen, that’s a whole different story. Then, I can sing for days!

You auditioned for The Voice. Tell us about your experience. Who encouraged you to audition? How did you find out about the auditions? Who went with you? Where were the auditions? How far did you get? This experience is very exciting, any details you share with us will be very appreciated!

It was a preliminary audition held in LA. My mother went with me, and she was so amazing. We were there for four hours, and never once did she complain. There were SO many people. I have never seen so many musicians in one place in my life. It was extremely intimidating and humbling. I had a 2pm audition, and didn’t see the judge until 6pm. We were all basically herded from one room to another until the end. Ten at a time we were led to little conference rooms where we saw a judge. We all sang in front of each other. I sang a portion of a song I wrote. There were a couple of other singers who I thought sounded amazing, but none of us got callbacks. We were congratulated for having guts and encouraged to audition again.

I found out about the audition when my best friend posted a link on my Facebook page. I actually accidently registered. I just wanted to see what was required and before I knew it, it was telling me I could print out my audition pass a week beforehand.  All of my friends and family have always been very supportive, telling me I should audition for American Idol and such for years, but I’ve never had the guts. It was very ‘spur of the moment.

You mentioned you are rehearsing, what event are you currently working on?

I am an Assistant Stage Manager for the Theater Production of In the Red and Brown Water. We are starting tech this week, and the show opens next weekend! So, everything is very hectic right now.

Want to hear Nicole sing? Watch her videos that she posts on her personal Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/nicolebarnekow6

Elizabeth Vasquez graduated from UC Santa Barbara back in 2016 with a BA in English. Elizabeth currently resides in the Silicon Valley area and works for Modern Luxury Silicon Valley magazine as a marketing & events coordinator. When she isn't working, Elizabeth enjoys dining out with friends, reading a book and spending time with her two dogs. See what she is up to on Instagram: @iamelizabethvasquez and on Twitter: @MissElizabethLV
Mya McCann is a fourth year literature student in the College of Creative Studies at UCSB. She currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand and is in the business of running BKK. On the weekends you can find Mya either in the jungle or on an island. On the weekdays she studies Thai and Buddhism and teaches English to sex workers in the red light district. You can follow her adventures on IG: MyaJoy