Stop Shaming Me for No Longer Partying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I don’t have FOMO; I’ve already gotten over the idea that in order to make the most of your college experience, you have to go to all these raging parties and clubs like you see in the movies.

Stop calling me lazy. Stop calling me boring. And, above all, stop trying to make me feel bad for not wanting to go out every weekend.

It’s not my thing. I’m over it.

I don’t like going out to blow my entire paycheck in one night on $11 cocktails. I don’t like going to places where my personal space is constantly being invaded by drunk boys who use “I’m just trying to pass through” as an excuse to grab me by the waist. I don’t like having to end up playing babysitter because I’m the only one who didn’t want to get raging drunk. That’s not me.

Here’s the thing: I understand the social aspect of it. I understand wanting to go out and spend time with your friends over a few drinks. I understand getting to meet new people in a casual and fun setting. I like to do all of that too, but now it’s only on occasion. It’s not that I’m looking down on you for liking to do those things, but you are looking down on me.

When I decline an invitation to go out, I get told that I’m boring, that I don’t like doing anything anymore. But that’s not the case. I’ve just come to enjoy solitude a lot more. I like winding down at the end of a long week by getting in bed and watching Netflix. Or exploring new music. Or even writing about things like this. I’ve realized that it’s okay to be selfish with your time and to want to keep a good portion of it to yourself. For yourself. There’s nothing wrong with that. Just like there’s nothing wrong with partying and going out. What’s wrong is you trying to make me feel like I’m doing less, like I’m wasting time, like I need to “fix” something.

And you know what? I’m no longer tolerating it.

So stop.

Photo courtesy of thezenpig

Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara. Passions include: Taylor Swift, fashion, FRIENDS, chocolate, Snapchat and sassy t-shirts.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay