This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I think we can all agree that California is a vastly diverse and unique state. It is also one of the best places in America to take a road trip, and it has many weird/cool stops all throughout the country. Before you take a road trip, you should plan with your friends/travel buddy on where to go, where to stop, and what sights to see. Make sure to get your car checked or serviced before your trip on the road as your car breaking down would be very inconvenient. Bring a camera, gopro, etc. as you will want to capture the unforgettable sights and memories that you make. Here are some places to consider for your first road trip!

1. Joshua Tree National Park

Joshua Tree National Park is located near San Bernadino County and includes parts of two different deserts. Joshua Tree National Park gets its name from the Joshua Trees (Yucca brevifolia) that surround the park. Because of its diverse desert ecosystem, you’ll be able to see coyotes, rattlesnakes, kangaroo rats etc. in their natural habitat. There are a few campgrounds in Joshua Tree but most are first come first served so make sure to arrive early to secure your camp spot. Camp at Joshua Tree for a night of star gazing on huge jumbo rocks. 

2. Salvation Mountain

Salvation Mountain is a hill covered with art, plaster, and gallons of paint  located in the Colorado Desert. Salvation Mountain was created by Leonard Knight in attempt to spread “God’s message and love”. Make sure to bring your camera as Salvation Mountain is a visionary art piece in the middle of nowhere and you’ll definitely feel the Burning Man feels. Leonard Knight passed away in 2014 but has been working tirelessly on his masterpiece since 1985. Salvation Mountain was made free for the public to enjoy however Leonard Knight asked for donations of acrylic paint when he was still working on it. 

3. Slab City

Slab City is located 5 minutes from Salvation Mountain so you should definitley make a stop there before you leave the area. Slab City is known as the last free place in America where many people who want to “go off the grid and disappear” move to. If you want to experience a “real life Burning Man”, Slab City is the place to go. There are many art exhibits built by the inhabitants of Slab City and the contrast between the barren desert and the weird and wonderful art pieces is stark and beautiful.

4. Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn is a great place to stay in if you’re planning a Big Sur roadtrip. It’s located in SLO and is close to landmarks such as Hearst Castle and Pismo Beach. The hotel features a pink tennis court, rock walls, a waterslide, and different whimsical themed hotel rooms. Staying at this hotel costs around 200$ a night if you book early and if you split it between friends, the price would definitley be affordable! The rooms cater to different tastes and have a variety of names such as “Safari Room”, “Daisy Mae”, and “Bridal Falls”. 

5. Lake Dolores Waterpark

Lake Dolores Waterpark is an abandoned Waterpark located in the Mojave Desert. It’s a great place to stop if you are travelling in that direction. The abandoned waterpark was shut down in the 1980s and is now deserted but a few visitors come each year to skate, take pictures of it, and explore. It’s located on the way to Las Vegas so if you are on the way down there, stop by the abandoned waterpark for post apocalyptic feels.

Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay