Larry Cavaletto: The Man Behind the Advice Booth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

They say life is a journey, full of hardships, lessons to learn, but most of all experiences to enjoy. Who would know this better than the Journey Man himself, Larry J. Cavaletto. If you have not seen him on campus already, he’s the man behind the “Questions for 5 cents” booth.

Her Campus (HC): So what is your story Larry, what inspired you to come up with this “Questions?” booth?

Larry (L): What inspired me? You inspired me! We always hear people preaching “you can make a difference” and well that is what I’m here to do. I’m here to be there for you students, or rather anyone who wants to talk and have someone listen to them. I see the culture changing, the pendulum swinging as I like to put it. The simplest way to put it is that I am here to help the younger generation make the right choices.

HC: What do you consider a “right” choice to be?

L: I think we all have a conscience. I think we all know what we personally would consider to be morally right, but sometimes we just need a little bit of encouragement. Sometimes we all just need a helping hand to know where we are going. Take the freshmen for example; I have met so many kids who just need a hug or a smile to be able to finish the day.

HC: What is one of the most common questions you get?

L: “What are you doing here?” Other than that I tend to get a lot of female students who discuss their boyfriend dilemmas with me. Which frankly I think should be given much importance. The best advice I can give these young ladies, even men, is to marry wisely. Know the difference between infatuation and love. Love is commitment and if he is not committed to you is it really worth it?

HC: What made you want to get a booth?

L: It’s from the Charlie Brown Christmas comics! My wife told me I should probably not put ‘psychiatric’ on the board or even more kids will be hesitant to approach me. It’s not about the money for me. I just enjoy coming here whenever I can and building relationships with students. Getting them to question life’s journey and realize that it is all worth it in the end. That the hardships you all are facing now do not matter in the long run.

HC: Do you have many returning customers?

L: I do tend to have a lot of returning customers. Sometimes they just come by to say ‘hi’. It is a lot like fishing when I’m out here standing in the booth. I am always just waiting for my next fish to come and take a bite!

HC: Any advice for our fellow readers?

L: Life is a journey. Live it to the fullest.

If you have 5 cents and some time to spare, Larry Cavaletto would love to hear your story. We all have one.

Shefali Agarwal is a second year Communications Major at University of California Santa Barbara, hoping to pursue PR in the future. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Shefali enjoys traveling, eating, reading and playing volleyball. Anything that gets her out there and active is a must do. See what she is up to on Instagram @shefalee!
Mya McCann is a fourth year literature student in the College of Creative Studies at UCSB. She currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand and is in the business of running BKK. On the weekends you can find Mya either in the jungle or on an island. On the weekdays she studies Thai and Buddhism and teaches English to sex workers in the red light district. You can follow her adventures on IG: MyaJoy