HC Abroad: Pros & Cons of Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you are currently abroad or studied abroad in the past, you totally know that it has both its ups and downs. Here’s what I’ve experienced so far on my trips abroad.

Pro #1:

THE FOOD.

There is nothing like eating macarons in Paris or pasta in Rome.

No doubt about it, you will eat some amazing food while studying abroad. Whether you’re in a food capitol of Europe or in a small village in Thailand, you’ll want to pack a pair of stretchy pants for those amazing meals.

Con #1:

Food costs how much here?!

My actual face when I realized how far my euros would get me in the culinary department. At least in Europe, everything is much more expensive than the States, especially food! However, it’s much higher quality, so you really get what you pay for. And it’s sooo worth it. 

Pro #2:

The hotties ;)

Ah, European beauty. One definitely does not lack in eye candy while studying abroad in Europe. Add in their chic style (step up your game, American boys) and you’ve got some of the sexiest people in the world. 

Con #2:

Those guys who just won’t leave you alone.

If you thought the guys on DP were bad, wait until you experience European men catcalling you from the streets. Not to generalize, but they sure love to invite themselves into conversations. And if you tell them you only speak English, they want to talk to you even more! They’re nothing if not persistant here. 

Pro #3:

Studying new cultures.

No matter where you go, the culture shock will be mighty real. Once you get used to it though, you’ll have an amazing opporunity to explore your new host city and soak up all the culture it has to offer, including museums like the Louvre! Learning about new cultures broadens your perspective when you return home.

Con #3:

You mean I actually have to study?

That’s right, it’s not all tea and cake when you get off that plane. Although your studies will surely help your assimilate into your new culture, the work load is still hefty and requires some study time. As much as you’ll wish you had all day to explore, you do actually have to go to class!

Kirby is currently studying abroad in Paris, France.

You can follow her adventures on her blog: thelovepugkb.blogspot.fr

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats. 
Allison is a Global Studies major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is the Assistant Editor at Her Campus UCSB a contributor to the chapter's Instagram, @hercampusucsb. Allison believes that life is about balances, but that you can never have too many breakfast burritos. You can follow Allison's personal Instagram at @allycnco for life around Santa Barbara, good eats, and travels!