Five Female Superheroes to Inspire You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Tired of going to the movie theater and seeing the same male superheroes saving the day in the same action movies? Here are five superheroines that are just as inspiring, if not more:

1. Storm

After a bomber plane crashed into her home in Kenya, suddenly orphaned Storm (Ororo Munroe) was buried under rubble for hours before rescue. The experience gave her severe claustrophobia for the rest of her adulthood. Despite her fear, Storm still managed to suceed in tight situations, ultimately becoming the leader of the X-Men team for a period of time. Storm taught readers that not even our greatest fears should slow us down. And some of the coolest celebrities have suited up as Storm. See: Beyonce, Halle Berry, Rihanna.

2. Elektra

While gaining the skills in martial arts that would lead to her suprior combat skills in the future, Elektra Natchios was also depicted as being a Political Science student at Columbia University. Think of that next time you need motivation to go for a run.

3. Starfire

Meet the most energy efficient hero in the books. Before there were solar powered houses, there was Starfire. Originally from the planet Tamaran, Starfire and all the other Tamareans naturally convert ultraviolet radiation from the sun into pure energy, fueling her powers of super strength, flight, and energy blasts.

4. Ms. Marvel

In 2014, Kamela Khan shook up the comic world by being the first Muslim and first Pakistani character to headline her own series of books as Ms. Marvel. Representation matters and Kamela inspired many young girls of color to see themselves as larger than life.

5. Phoenix

While we patiently wait for a movie on her (and all our favorite superheroines) , here’s some things you should know about Jean Grey-Summers: Along with Storm, Phoenix was another woman to hold the title of leader of the X-Men. And if you’ve ever thought kindness equals weakness, think again. Along with mind control, one of Phoenix’s best attribute is empathy. Not only can she detect mental pain, but she can also heal mental sadness.

Nkechi Ikem is a writer for the HerCampus chapter at UC Santa Barbara. She is a second year political science major and plans to pursue a career in international law. Originally from the Sacramento area, she can't help but continuously remind people that the city is more than just a capital. In her free time, you can find her listening to the same song for an hour or reacting out loud to a book she's reading. She is present on almost all social media outlets, but her favorite at the moment is Twitter. Follow her @saymynameright_
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.