5 Ways to Combat the California Drought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

California is currently in one of its worst droughts in history. It may not be noticeable in your daily life – your shower still runs hot and ordering a tall glass of ice water at a restaurant is a no brainer, but if we don’t start saving water things will only get worse! It’s our responsibility to save our resources and get through this drought together. So go green and use these helpful tips to learn how to best save water during these dry times. 

1. Take shorter showers

We all love a long, hot shower after a day of class or a hard workout, but most showers use 2 to 2.5 gallons of water per minute By limiting your shower to fifteen or even ten minutes, you can save a ton of water and still get squeaky clean. If you’re addicted to those thirty minute steams, try creating a shower playlist so when that last song starts you know it’s time to rinse out that conditioner and hop out. 

2. Fill up the sink before washing your dishes

If you don’t have an adorable dog to lick your dishes clean every night (just kidding, just kidding!) you probably use a lot of water doing those dishes, especially if you’re unlucky enough to not have a dishwasher. To save water, fill up half your sink with hot, soapy water and the other half with clean water! It’s not only really efficient, but it keeps the tap from running, which uses a lot of wasted water. 

3. Wash large loads of laundry at a time

Doing laundry sucks, so you might as well do all of it at once to save water AND time! If you’re a heathen who washed lights and darks together (I’ll try not to pass judgement) you’re actually doing a great job of saving water. But if you can’t fathom breaking Mom’s trusty laundry guidelines, just try to make your loads as large as possible before putting in those quarters. Teaming up with a friend is also a great way to save change and water! 

4. If it’s yellow, let it mellow

Ok, ok, this one’s kind of gross. But it’s just pee! Flushing your toilet is one of the biggest water usages in your home, so cutting down on the number of swirlies you cause will save a lot of water. If you pay your own water bill every month, just think of all the money you and your housemates will save. But please, if you ate asparagus for dinner, do us all a favor and flush. 

5. Eat less meat

We’re a meat lovin’ nation, but animal byproducts are one of the leading causes of wasted water in the USA. I’m not saying you have to go full on vegan (although, props to those hardcore individuals), but try having a Meatless Monday or swap out that piece of steak with a filet of fish. Every little bit counts and one vegetarian meal can go a long way! Include your friends on this one and everyone can bring their own veggie dish for a water-saving feast. 

No one wants this to be our future, so do your part and try to preserve water. For more helpful hints for saving water while in college, click here. Keep California beautiful!

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.