16 Struggles Only Your RA Understands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you’ve lived in the dorms, you are familiar with the “RA” a.k.a “The Party Pooper.” As much as you might not believe it, RAs go through a variety of other issues than wanting to bust parties at 10:33pm on a Saturday night. I present to you, the struggles of being an RA: 

1. The one night you are on duty and ALL your friends want to go out 

2. Making endless posters for programs

3. Going to 0 to 100 real quick when addressing a situation

4. When residents call it “FT” and say “you guys”

5. Being asked if you are from the South because you say “y’all” so much

6. Walking around trying to find out where the faint smell of weed is coming from

7. When no one shows up to your program

8. When you run into your residents at a party

9. Getting your last name changed to “my/the RA”

10. When you overhear your residents saying, “I have the best RA”

11. When your residents bring you food

12. When people say “but you get free room and board,” but have no idea how hard the job is

13. Having adopted residents that are always on your floor, so in reality, you are in charge of more residents than expected

14. Having more than two people show up to your program

15. When residents forget you are a student and think you live in your room all day

16. Knowing that in the end, you have met 60 amazing people who have changed your life

Bridget Kyeremateng is a writer for HerCampus at UC Santa Barbara. She is second year at UC Santa Barbara majoring in Black Studies and Feminist Studies hoping to work in alternative media. On campus, she is an RA(Resident Assistant)who work as liaison and community builder for residential halls catered to first year students, an Ambassador Tour Guide, and part of the Women's Ensemble Theater Troupe. In her free time, she likes to hold discussion about social issues in the US, do Brazilian dancing, pretending to be a model. and play around with her natural hair. See what she is up to on Instagram @iambridgeet
Allison is a Global Studies major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is the Assistant Editor at Her Campus UCSB a contributor to the chapter's Instagram, @hercampusucsb. Allison believes that life is about balances, but that you can never have too many breakfast burritos. You can follow Allison's personal Instagram at @allycnco for life around Santa Barbara, good eats, and travels!