Summer Hair Trend: Balayage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We all have that friend… the one that was super excited to get an ombre but it went terribly wrong. Now half her hair is black and the other half is blonde and she vowed to never get her hair dyed again. 

You can tell your friend she doesn’t have to be scared anymore. 

Many of us love an ombre but wish that it looked more natural. Apparently this whole time there has been a solution to our problem! It’s called “balayage” and it’s wonderful. 

Balayage is a French term that means “sweep”. The colorist will sweep vertically instead of horizontally with a brush that creates a natural highlighted look. 

Getting a balayage at a salon could cost you around $150, but luckily we live in Westwood and have the Aveda Institute right around the corner. It costed me around $70 to get my balayage done, and I couldn’t be happier. I just took this picture that’s been floating around Pinterest: 

And it ended up like this (please excuse the cheesy editing): 

It’s a great summer look for someone that wants to do something fun but subtle! 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.