Splurge & Save: 10 Cheap, Expensive & Fun Things to Do In LA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

There is an unlimited number of things to explore in sunny Los Angeles– and let’s face it, some are more pricey than others. Sometimes we might feel like treating ourselves, but other days we might be pinching pennies to buy a new pair of shoes. Here are five things to splurge on, and five things to save on in LA.

Splurge

1. Ride Some Roller Coasters at Universal Studios

Hogwarts. Springfield. Jurassic Park. Need I say more? And plus, if you buy a California Neighbor Pass, you can go back for butterbeer again and again!

2. Meet Your Favorite Actors at Celebrity Panels

Events like Vulture Festival and PaleyFest allows you to get up close and hear producers, actors and actresses talk about your favorite TV show!

3. Taste Some Goodness at The Original Farmer’s Market

While you can slide with spending under $10, there’s no way you’ll want to with the varieties of food there: Mexican, French and American– plus ice cream, donuts, crepes– every dessert you can think of!

4. Take a Bus Tour of Los Angeles

After graduating from UCLA, I think we can call ourselves versed experts of the city– but sometimes you just want to be a little silly. My friends and I have promised each other that one day we’ll pretend to be tourists and sit on the top of a tour bus and point at the Hollywood sign.

5. Explore Your Favorite Sets at Warner Bros. Studio

They have a sorting hat. And the Bat-mobile. Any pop culture aficionado would feel right at home on the sets of movies like “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and “Friends.”

Save

1.  Barter For Hidden Treasures At Rose Bowl Flea Market

While you have to pay for admission, once you’re inside, you can find everything from furniture to clothes to film camera. It’s exciting trying to compete among your friends to find the best and cheapest find.

2. Ride Bikes In Santa Monica

Rent or bring your own bike, and coast along the coast of the beach, especially on a sunny LA day.

3. Peruse Paintings and Sculptures At The Los Angeles Museum Of Art

You can spend multiple days here and still not absorb everything. There’s history and culture and beauty all wrapped into one.

4. Watch A Live Taping

You may think that it’s as expensive as a front row concert to see a live taping of a show like “The Late Late Show with James Corden.” However, it’s completely free! Just be sure to book your spot in advance, as they do disappear quickly!

5. Learn About The Universe At Griffith Observatory

You can pretend like you’re in a scene from “La La Land,” but also, learn a lot about astronomy and science as well! It’s a great way to spend a weekend or afternoon.

Photos Courtesy of Her Campus UCLA

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.