Recognizing Historical Women’s Leadership

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.
In light of the movie “Suffragette” and Jennifer Lawrence’s wage gap essay, we should recognize the women who have made a contribution to our society for better opportunities. From past to present, here are some iconic heroines who have served society with a positive change in the community and are influences for the modern day young woman.

1. Abigail Adams
Photo courtesy of firstladies.org
The wife of the second U.S. president John Adams, Abigail Adams influenced many of her husband’s decisions, especially during his time in office. She was up to date on the political events that took place during John’s presidency and kept him up to date while he was abroad. Never being shy with her opinions, she spoke her mind and was often criticized by the public, something that she dealt with quite well.

2. Harriet Tubman
Photo courtesy of lipdigital.usembassy.gov
Born in slavery, Harriet Tubman was a woman who did not support injustice and became involved in her community to address the problems. Prominently known for the Underground Railroad, she also risked her life working as a spy in the Civil War for the Union. The work that Harriet did ultimately led to the freedom of over a thousand slaves, and her work was one of the foundations for the Civil Rights Movement.

3. Marie Curie
Photo courtesy of rsc.org
Marie Curie was a pioneer in the fields of chemistry and physics, and her groundbreaking work led her to win the Nobel Prize in both fields. Not only was she the first of many women to win the prize, she was also the first woman professor at the University of Paris. Her research on radioactivity led to the discoveries of new sciences and to this day, there are various hospitals, schools, and foundations named after her.

4. Meryl Streep
Photo courtesy of phillymag.com
A talented actress, Meryl Streep has concerns that go far beyond the riches and fame of the Hollywood industry. Having penned a letter regarding equal pay, she sent the letter to Congress only for it to be ignored. She is using the power of her fame to garner attention for issues that need attention, and it is celebrities like Meryl that gain positive recognition for her activism work.

5. Emma Watson
Photo courtesy of newsvillas.com
Emma Watson is another woman who has used her fame and status to address inequality among women internationally, and her work with the UN has gained recognition. She helped launch HeForShe, a UN women campaign which calls on men to advocate for women’s equality. From the gap in pay to accessing education, Emma has put her focus into her activism when not working on films.

6. Jennifer Lawrence
Photo coutesy of Getty Images
Jennifer Lawrence wrote a letter in the Washington Post asking the question “Why Do I Make Less Than My Male Co-Stars?” This has gotten praise not just from other female actresses but also from male actors as well. Josh Hutcherson and Bradley Cooper have stood by Jennifer and feel that she is in the right to ask this question. Although she has received backlash that she is rich, supporters have noted that it is for all women with jobs, not just the rich and famous.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.