Profile: Deepti Saroha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In a few days, thousands of students all over the nation are going to make one of the most important decisions of their lives. 

May 1st marks the deadline for many high school seniors to send in their Statement of Intent to Register, or SIR. For those of us who have forgotten, it means they must choose what college they’ll attend for the next four years. It’s a daunting decision, one that will irrevocably change the course of their lives.  So, whether you’re already a Bruin or an excited prospective student, we invite you to reflect on this pivotal moment with this week’s Campus Profile, Deepti Saroha.

Deepti Kour Saroha

Major: Politcal Science and History

Year: Sophmore

What’s your major and why?

Political Science and History have been two subjects that have stood out to me since high school.  I had amazing History and Government teachers, who still inspire me to this day. We live in a time where young people have become more politically charged. We are currently in a time of high political controversy, so it’s amazing that so many have taken the time to become educated on these issues. Hopefully this will be reflected in the leaders that we elect or eventually become.

History is something that I decided to major in, in addition to Political Science, because of this quote from Winston Churchill: “Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to to repeat it.” I hope that in becoming more educated, whether it be in World or American History, I’ll be more aware of the issues we face today. And using the knowdge of the past attempt to solve them.

What do you see yourself doing in the future?

I want to go to law school and become either a public defender, entertainment lawyer, or a civil case lawyer. I plan on taking a gap year after graduation and hopefully attain a fellowship for the non-profit, ServiceWorks. I currently volunteer for them, in underserved communities throughout Los Angeles working with youth who wish to empower their communities. My background in Political Science and History will aid me, since my primary focuses are youth history and race, ethnicity and politics.

What’s the hardest part about attending UCLA?

The hardest part about attending UCLA is the academic rigor, however, since I am taking classes that I enjoy I have been able to get through this obstacle.

What’s the best part about attending UCLA?

My favorite things about UCLA are the people, the weather, and the location. We are at one of the world’s best universities, therefore, you get to meet a bunch of brilliant people that are also down to earth. The location to me is prime because, while it is so easy to be stuck in this bubble we call Westwood, it’s also easy to go to completely different places that widen our scope and understanding of the city of Los Angeles.

What advice would you give to incomming freshman?

My advice for incoming freshman is to not psych yourself out. I really struggled with that my freshman year of college. I found myself constantly questioning whether or not I was smart enough or good enough and it really took a toll on me mentally. A good way to combat this is to remember how lucky you are to be here and that you were chosen from the biggest college applicant pool in the nation…THE NATION. There’s something amazing about you even if you don’t realize it.

Also I strongly advise that you major in something YOU love, even if you have an extreme amount of parental pressure. I mean, I used to be a Psychobiology Major which was something I did not enjoy. If you have to force yourself to love something, then it’s probably a good idea to assess what you’re truly passionate about. I did and now my college experience and life has become more enjoyable. 

What’s your acceptance story?

I came home from track practice and stopped by the grocery store near my house. I grabbed the biggest bag of Hot Cheeto Puffs that I could find in preparation for the emotional eating that I would do, as I waited for my inevitable rejection (I was waitlisted by a lower ranked school earlier that week). I came home and opened my laptop and frantically logged in to check my acceptance status. The site crashed and I remember freaking out. I waited five minutes but it felt like 5 years. Before logging back in, I let my mom know that I was about to check my status and she waited in anticipation. I was finally able to log in and as soon as I read the word “Congratulations” I screamed with intense joy. My mom teared up and I called my best friend in tears (she was also in tears because she also got accpeted) and we stayed on the phone for a few minutes crying and relishing in our happiness and I haven’t looked back since.

Whatever decision you make, whether as a collegiate or prospective student make sure it comes from the heart.

Photography provided by Helen Zapata

smile emoticon

Helen Zapata is a sophomore majoring in English at UCLA. Beyond writing she loves crafting, gardening, planning elaborate birthday parties and reading bad romance novels.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.