Freshman Spreads Krochet Kids’ Message of Love on the UCLA Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It all started with a hat, one simple crocheted beanie that UCLA first-year psychology student Kaylee Weatherwax bought her sophomore year in high school.  Ever since purchasing her first Krochet Kids hat, Kaylee has been an unofficial representative for this international non-profit organization that values “actions rooted in love” in order to bring about “lasting and powerful change in the world,” according to their mission statement.  HC UCLA sat down with Kaylee to see exactly what Krochet Kids is all about and how UCLA students can purchase hip, cute, and functional clothing and beanies while supporting an outstanding cause!

HC: How does Krochet Kids work?
Kaylee Weatherwax: They started off teaching just a few women in Uganda how to crochet beanies so that now, these women are being paid what they deserve for their fine handmade work.  In this way, Krochet Kids is creating self-sustaining micro industries, not just throwing money at people hoping that they do something good with it.  They are very hands on and really care about forming relationships with Third World countries that struggle with major political and economic issues and realize that it’s important to interact with these people on a personal level.  I think that they have had great success, and with the money that these women are earning from handmade designs, they are able to support their families, make a living, and send their kids to school. 

HC: How long have you been involved with Krochet Kids?
KW: Since back in high school, probably freshman or sophomore year.  I have been following them for about four or five years now. I purchased my first hat sophomore year and have stayed with the organization since and have watched them grow.  I followed it because I kinda had the feeling that they were going to do big things in the world, and it’s exciting to be a part of that. 

HC: How do they promote the clothing that these women make?
KW: They sell the clothing and beanies at Nordstrom’s now, and they do the “Gift of Love Campaign” around the holiday time, in which they set a goal for the number of hats they want to sell.  With the spirit of the holiday season, they have a big push to sell a lot of hats.  Last year, their goal was 3,000.  This year, their goal was 10,000, but they sold over 13,000 hats.  So, they definitely surpassed their goal.  What was really cool was that they had different people, who wanted to be involved in the campaign on a more personal level like me, personally sell hats and then offered a possible trip to Uganda.  I think they are sending a total of 2 people to Uganda to their headquarters, so that they can meet all the women that Krochet Kids employs. 

HC: What is it about this organization in particular that appeals to you?
KW: For me, it’s really about their mission statement.  I think with charities and nonprofits and that whole realm, I get frustrated sometimes because it kinda seems like it’s all about money.  To me, money-exchanging hands is not really doing anything for the betterment of people in need.  This organization in particular is hands on, but more importantly they wholeheartedly believe in taking action with the premise of loving others, and that is so powerful.  If you look at the shirts, their logo is love.  I think that makes them stand out. They are not afraid to say that this thing that society has turned into romantic love has another aspect.  We can love others by serving them and by actually reaching out to them.  Everything they do is about changing the world through others. 

HC: Krochet Kids is an international non-profit organization.  Are there any other locations where they work besides Uganda?
KW: In the past, it has specifically been in Uganda, but they actually just recently announced a new campaign coming out of Peru, which is really exciting.  They started off with about 6 women working and now employ 87!

Visit www.krochetkids.org to learn more about this non-profit and to purchase their latest clothing and crochet designs.  Be on trend for a cause!

Nicole Cremer is currently a sophomore at UCLA majoring in Neuroscience. She has a passion for journalism and loves being involved in a variety of extra-curricular activities, including doing research at the UCLA Brain Tumor institute, volunteering with Global Medical Brigades where she traveled to Ghana this past winter to provide health care to over 1,200 people, contributing to the Daily Bruin newspaper as a Video Reporter, and being a part of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Before becoming the Her Campus Campus Correspond for UCLA, she was a founding member of Her Campus UCLA and wrote a weekly health blog. In her spare time, Nicole enjoys exploring new restaurants and sites around Los Angeles, listening to country music, running (and training for half marathons…maybe a full one someday!), hiking, and spending as much time as she can at the beach!
Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.