Campus Cutie: Michael Maben

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

1. If you were a dessert what would you be and why?

If I was a dessert, I would be a bowl of cookie dough ice cream, covered in melted chocolate with a strawberry on top. I have the classic taste that everyone enjoys, but with a small change of texture and flavor every few bites. I have a warm and friendly outer coating with a bit of red on top.

2. What is your most memorable moment at UCLA?

My most memorable moment is more of a collection of moments, like a movie. It would have to be my week as a Unicamp counselor. I spent a quarter preparing for this one week of overnight, summer camp put on entirely by volunteers. We put the entire camp of for kids in our local LA area. This was such a memorable week because of all the preparation put into it, the friendships that were built over it and the impact that was created because of it. It was one of the indescribable moments where you just have to experience it for yourself.

3. When did you first start getting into Quidditch and if you were sitting under the sorting hat which house would you be in (or ask the hat to be in)?

I first got into Quidditch my freshman year. I had seem a UCLA Quidditch video on youtube and wanted to at least try this strange sport. Half way through the first practice, they brought out the snitch, a guy with a sock hanging down his back. Being a cross country running, I enjoyed running and decided to try out the position of seeker, the guy who chased the snitch around campus. I immediately knew this was my position. It was a combination of endurance running, agility and had a flair of parkour. That is what I did back home, and now I had a team, sport and a purpose to go along with it. That was the beginning of a long eventful path which would take me up to Stanford and even across the country to Florida. If I were to be placed in a house, I’d imagine (hope) it would be a close call between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. I believe Ravenclaw would win out because though I am always ready for an adventure, I have a strong curiosity for exploring and learning about the unknown.

4. If you could meet one celebrity who would it be and what would you say to them if you could only say one line?

I would talk to Bill Gates. If I could only say one thing to him, I would ask him what it takes to become so successful and still have some balance to his life. He is an incredible man who has taken what he had and created something huge. And after all that, he is still a humble, reasonable man. After having such a massive impact on the world, he is still trying to change how the world operates.

5. World, I am aware of the cheesy set up of this question but the answer is still important! On a scale of one to ten how much do you love being a Bruin?

Cliché answer, I know. But from the moment I visited UCLA, I had this strange feeling that this is where I was meant to be. I was actually excited to walk around the campus, which was unlike most other colleges where the tours were more of a chore. Every year since I’ve been at UCLA, I have found something to reassure my choice. Whether it was joining the Quidditch team, getting involved with my academic clubs, joining a parkour class in the John Wooden center, I can’t imagine a college experience better than the one I have at UCLA.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.