This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Major: English

Year: 4th (She’s graduating after Fall Quarter!)

Ali Curewitz is a Bruin that’s well-known across UCLA campus, and for all the right reasons! She’s the Panhellenic Delegate for her sorority, Tri Delta, and is very involved with HOOLIGAN Theatre Company, a student- run theatre company at UCLA. She recently directed a one act show, “‘dentity Crisis” and HOOLIGAN’s “You Can’t Take It With You.” Ali was also recently accepted into the Disney College Program (how cool is that?!) and is graduating after fall quarter! She’s definitely “Campus Celebrity” worthy! 

What got you interested in HOOLIGAN?

I became interested in HOOLIGAN last year when I transferred. At my old university (UC Merced) I had founded an acting troupe, so I wanted to remain heavily involved with theatre. HOOLIGAN was suggested to me by Cat Sowa, and I’m thankful to her for pointing me in the right direction! HOOLIGANs are kind, welcoming, and fun individuals. They’ve really helped my transition between universities become that much smoother!

Has HOOLIGAN influenced or changed, in any way, what you want to do in the future?

HOOLIGAN has enhanced my plans for the future. I’ve known since high school that I want to teach theatre at a secondary education level, and HOOLIGAN (as well as my past involvement in theatre) has confirmed that I am good at what I do (not to sound conceited) and that I should, indeed, be doing this!

What was it like directing “’dentity Crisis?”

Directing Christopher Durang’s ‘dentity Crisis was, in short, an adventure. I’ve directed several plays (most recently, HOOLIGAN’s You Can’t Take It with You), but this one act was a rewarding challenge. The time from auditions to the performance was slightly under 3 weeks and it was a doozy! My cast worked very hard and I am so grateful for their dedication and talent! Directing is a taxing task – you have to think about every element of the show, from how the set should look, what costumes your actors should wear, how lines should be delivered, and which props would look best to really set the scene. You have to make important, creative decisions and decide what does and doesn’t work, what will or won’t read to the audience, and more. It’s fun to direct, but also challenging (in a good way)!

What influened you to apply for the Disney College Program?

I applied for DCP because I love Disney. That’s the simple version of my answer! I first heard about the Disney College Program during high school, and I thought it sounded like a great opportunity!! Now, as I am coming close to graduation (just a few weeks away), I figured, what better time than now? So I applied back in September, went through the process, and was accepted mid-October. I’m really excited to join the cast and work attractions during my 7-month program. I’m also looking forward to all of the networking opportunities available to me within the company.

Favorite memory from UCLA?

My favorite memory from UCLA would have to be orientation and sticking my hand in the infamous inverted fountain. I say this because I’m close to being able to do that once more!! When December 4th rolls around and I’ve finished my last class, look out for me. I’ll be the only one brave enough to touch the “cursed” fountain just then!

Any advice you would give to a UCLA student?

Advice? Well, I’d have to stick with my main ideology. Take chances. Make new friends. Never give up on your dreams, because with perseverance you can achieve them. Everyone is unique and wonderful, and everyone has the potential to be someone great and make a difference; so make that difference.

From Mississippi to California! Freshman at UCLA :) Class of 2017! Go Bruins! Writer at Her Campus UCLA, member of Tri Delta!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.