Bibigo: A Quick Taste of Korea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Tucked away on the corner of Broxton Avenue, Bibigo is the perfect place to grab a quick bite of Korean food. Though Bibigo has been in Westwood for just four years now, it has been proudly serving Korean food for the past 60 years. Built on the Korean traditions of nature and harmony, Bibigo has a menu that is both healthy and delicious. This past week, I had the pleasure of dining at Bibigo in Westwood.

When I first walked in I was greeted by their warm, courteous staff and modern, bright décor.  At the register I had the pleasure of talking to Joe An, who talked me through the ordering process. The Bibigo menu allows you to customize your dish to your liking through various add-ons. In many ways it reminded me of a Korean version of Chiptole or ShopHouse.

First you start out by choosing the type of dish that you want: Hot Plate Bibimbap, Chicken Kimchi Fried Rice, or Bibimbap. You can also choose what kind of rice goes into your bowl (white rice, brown rice, or black rice). Each one of these dishes includes a medley of veggies (kale, bean sprouts, tomato, onions, etc). Then you can customize your bowl by choosing a protein (Beef or Bulgogi, Chicken (grilled or teriyaki), Pork, or Tofu). There are also several add-ons available for an additional charge such as fried egg. In addition, there is also a wide selections of sauces to choose from ranging from mild to spicy to add the flavor that you want to your dish. 

Joe told me that the most popular combination with UCLA students was the Hot Plate Bibimbap with beef or chicken. He also told me that they had discounts for Bruins where they can get a bowl for $6 by showing their Bruin Card.

My Hot Plate Bibimbap order 

So I decided to order the Hot Plate Bibimbap with brown rice and teriyaki chicken with a fried egg on top. I’ve got to say, I can certainly see why the Hot Plate Bibimbap is the most popular. The presentation was fantastic—the vegetables, egg, and meat make it seem like a beautiful medley of colors. The taste was even better. The teriyaki chicken was cooked perfectly and it had a hint of the teriyaki flavor but it wasn’t overpowering. I also added a bit of sesame sauce to my bowl to give it a hint of tangy sweetness that I usually enjoy. Overall the Bibimbap served to be a healthy, hot, and filling meal. In addition, I was also able to try one of their appetizers the chicken wontons that came with a side of sweet/tangy sauce. The wontons were amazing! Yes, they were fried but they didn’t seem too oily at all. These wontons would make a perfect quick bite to share with friends if you’re just looking for a snack.

Chicken Wontons 

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience at Bibimbap. The food was tasty and well balanced. And the décor and staff at Bibigo make it a very inviting place to come and grab a meal with friends. Also for those of you looking for a place to study in Westwood, the Bibigo patio is just the place. The patio is complete with outdoor seating and wifi! So the next time you’re in Westwood, whether it’s to study for finals or to take a study break, make sure you stop by Bibigo! Don’t forget your Bruincards for that sweet $6 bowl deal! 

UCLA '15 Major: Psychobiology Hometown: San Jose