Best Ab Exercises…To Do Without Hitting The Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Does this sound too good to be true?  How is it possible that you can get an ab workout in without even making a trip to the gym?  HerCampus is here to tell you how!  I recently wrote an article about fitting in just 15 minutes of strength training during the hectic holiday season (you can read the article at http://www.hercampus.com/school/ucla/holiday-exercise).  Using that same idea of working out for just 15 minutes in your own dorm, apartment, sorority house, etc. here are 3 effective ab exercises to get a head start on your summer six-pack!  They key is to do all 3 sets of these 3 different exercises.

1.      Side Reach
Stand with your feet together, holding ends of one dumbbell (can substitute a water bottle or textbook if you don’t have dumbbells) with both hands, and keep your arms extended overhead. Slowly lean to left and hold for one count and then return to starting position. Repeat on right side and this counts as 1 rep. Do 3 sets of 10 reps each.

2.      Bicycle
You have probably done this exercise before but be assured that it is very effective for working the obliques!  Start by lying face up on your mat and place your hands behind your head.  Bring your left knee into your chest and rotate your right shoulder in to meet your knee. Hold for a second and bring your right knee to meet your left shoulder.  Continue switching sides for 3 sets of 15 reps each.

3.      Side Plank Dip
Self Magazine wrote an article about how Jennifer Aniston’s yoga moves for flat abs.  This is one of the poses!  Start in a side plank position on your left side (feet stacked on top of each other, left forearm and left hip on the floor).  Lift your hips, creating a straight line from feet to head and extend your right arm up.  Hold for 5 seconds and return to start.  Do 2 sets of 10 reps on each side.

http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2006/09/ab-sculpting-without-crunches-slideshow#slide=1
http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm
http://www.self.com/flat-abs-guide/jennifer-aniston-flat-abs-yoga-moves-slideshow#slide=2

Nicole Cremer is currently a sophomore at UCLA majoring in Neuroscience. She has a passion for journalism and loves being involved in a variety of extra-curricular activities, including doing research at the UCLA Brain Tumor institute, volunteering with Global Medical Brigades where she traveled to Ghana this past winter to provide health care to over 1,200 people, contributing to the Daily Bruin newspaper as a Video Reporter, and being a part of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Before becoming the Her Campus Campus Correspond for UCLA, she was a founding member of Her Campus UCLA and wrote a weekly health blog. In her spare time, Nicole enjoys exploring new restaurants and sites around Los Angeles, listening to country music, running (and training for half marathons…maybe a full one someday!), hiking, and spending as much time as she can at the beach!
Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.