jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Combat Loneliness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It is incredible just how many people exist in this world, yet at some point, we all feel lonely. For some people, this is a short-term feeling, but for others, it can be long-term. Often, the feeling of loneliness masks the reality that we are surrounded by amazing people in our lives. We choose to focus on what we do not have, rather than what we do have. With this article, I want to encourage you to acknowledge that you are not lonely. However, it is never a bad idea to consult a doctor or a psychologist if you feel that this is affecting your everyday life. This is not professional medical advice, but simply a guide to help you alleviate these thoughts.

1. Ask yourself WHY do you feel lonely? 

Be HONEST! If you try to trick yourself and give an answer that is not true, this exercise will not help. Admitting why you feel this way to yourself is a librating step that will help you understand why you have this mindset. It does not matter what the reason is; however, it matters that you are honest with yourself. No one else has to know yet, but you deserve to heal. Loneliness is often due to a lack of a certain person, usually a romantic partner, in their life. But it could easily be a multitude of other things, so figure out the root of your feelings of loneliness. And again, you may need professional assistance to achieve this.

2. Realize your happiness is not dependent on ONE person

You are in control of your life. Take control. You should not weigh your happiness on one person and neither should you create a false solution in your head that a person is the solution to your problems. So rather than depending on them, depend on yourself and realize you are fully capable of living on your own. Now this does not mean that you do not need anyone, or the comfort of a romantic partner, but you can fulfill our lives in so many other ways. 

3. Count your blessings … and remember them

We often focus on what we do not have or what we think will make our lives better, rather than what we do have and what makes our lives amazing now! So my tip to you is to never forget who is actively in your life. This mean your friends and family and anyone else you love. You may not notice it all the time, but there are always a group of people that you can rely on. Gravitate towards them more and do not let them go. I think we often say we don’t have friends or hardly see our family, etc., but a lot of that comes down to us. When was the last time you called your friend from back home? You cousins? If we do not actively reach out to them, how do we expect them to contact us and stay in our lives? We have to evaluate our own faults and realize that maybe we neglect those we do have in our lives. So, if this is you, take action and see where that leads your loneliness.

4. Do more of what you love and stop searching for the ‘right’ kind of person/people.

Do more of what you love and stop searching for the ‘right’ kind of person/people. They will come when you start focusing yourself and your happiness. If you do not put yourself out there or make an effort to go out and do what you love, you might be neglecting yourself from some amazing opportunities, where you can build a community and  find people that resonate with you and make you feel happy!

5. Realize that you are not alone 

There is nothing wrong with feeling this way. There are many people that feel the same way you do. If you think this is or has affected you in anyway, seek professional help and take control of your life! 

Life is too amazing to feel lonely… 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.