Why Kenan and Kel are the [OG’s] of comedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Key and Peele are ending their long hit show on Comedy Central, but the original dynamic duo of comedy is hands down Kenan and Kel.  They started on Nickelodeon, from All That and launched their own show to put the stamp of their 90’s era. Today is the EPIC Throwback Thursday. Last night on “Last Night with Jimmy Fallon”, the two “comedic bromance” Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchel reunited at our favorite spot, Goodburger. Now when I was kid, they were the ones we wanted to hang out with and share a laugh over Good Nuggets and Orange Soda while playing “Rolling with the Homies” in the background.

But what was so epic in this reunion was that we were reminded of seeing these two comedians being able to make the audience forget that they were black and funny, THEY WERE JUST FUNNY. During the 90’s it was all about being the “dopiest” kid around, and Kenan and Kel changed the game when they did skits like Repair Man, Everyday French with Pierre Escargot, and of course Goodburger which even made a movie! Who couldn’t forget the Mando Burger right across the street causing mayhem? But this reunion last night made me miss the 90’s, specifically Kenan and Kel who did so well in being animated with their silly and outrageous skits. Nickelodeon will never be the same without them, and although we have Key and Peele, the [original genius’] of young black comedians will ALWAYS be Kenan and Kel. You will ALWAYS be Fresh out the Box…

Photo source: WeHeartit images

Hi my name is Amanda Osorio! I am a Junior at UCF, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Women's Studies! I love to read the True Blood series and eat Pei Wei's spicy Chicken Pad Thai while watching Game of Thrones, Scandal, Empire, Scrubs, American Horror Story and so much more! I call myself a nostalgic person since I should have been raised in the 1970's since I LOVE that era, from the fashion, movies, and music. My dreams will be complete with my purple flower record player and baby blue typewriter. A girl can dream with her eyes open <3 <3
UCF Contributor