What To Expect At This Years Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The leaves are changing, snow is falling, the fireplace is crackling, and the smell of Starbuck’s newest holiday drink is in the air, (and in your hand, you basic betch.)   This can only mean one thing and one thing only…the holiday season is finally here! Okay, well maybe Florida is a little different and we are still wearing shorts and tanks, and the occasional Uggs if it’s below 70 degrees when you roll out of bed, but still that doesn’t stop Thanksgiving from happening! Enjoy the break from school, work and life as you rot on the couch and binge eat mashed potatoes for four straight days. Here are a few things you can expect at this years Thanksgiving (don’t worry, it has nothing to do with running the Turkey Trot 5k at 6am, you’re welcome.)

Great people watching at the airport

The Thanksgiving holiday is without a doubt one of the busiest travel times of the year. With flight delays, temperature changes and long layovers, the airport seems like a scary place to be, but if you’re a person who likes to people watch, or a people watching person (try to say that 10x fast), than the airport isn’t too bad after all. During the holiday season, all walks of life are travelling through the airport, leaving many places for your eyes to wander. Whether it’s watching the child on the leash get walked by its mother, or watching the 5 year-old repeatedly drop the iPad it’s playing on, there’s always a place to look. The family’s who travel together are also a super fun bunch to watch, some of them just can’t seem to get there sh*t together. But, the best is when you spy a hot boy, who later ends up in the same terminal as you, so you just get to stare at him for a while and than pray to have your seats next to each other on the plane, and than start planning the wedding on Pinterest during the flight until you land and reality sets in and you go to your great grandparents house while he goes to surprise his girlfriend for the holiday.

Sleeping under your parents roof…..on the couch

The whole famjam is finally home altogether for the first time in months! As exciting as this is, you’re no longer livin’ the independent college life, so those high school curfews and chore lists are back in action. There really is nothing like being under one roof with the people you love most celebrating Thanksgiving… until you eat too much and go to lay down on your bed but suddenly remember that your bedroom has now turned into a gym and your sleeping on the couch. But let’s be real, in the long run, you really don’t mind because the time you’ve spent with the fam is priceless, (and not to mention the home cooked meals, clean laundry, and groceries you get to bring back to school because your parents rock!)

The awkward “no, I still don’t have a boyfriend” conversation

We all have that one relative who gets invited to all the family holiday dinners and without fail asks you the same questions she asks you every. damn. year. “Sweetie, do you know what you’re going to do yet once you graduate?” or  “How is school going, did you make the Dean’s List?” Like no Aunt Becky, I don’t even know what I’m doing for Spring Break, and you want me to know what I’m doing when I graduate…I mean lets be real, I probably won’t even be graduating on time anyway. The “Are you dating? Do you have a boyfriend?” conversation is probably one of the most awkward and uncomfortable situations to endure every year. How many times can I say “no” without them starting to get concerned?…because, well, the answer is still no.

The annual dramatic family fiasco

There is always something dramatic that happens at a family gathering, especially on holidays. The large quantities of food and wine being consumed to keep you sane for the day spark something to lead to the annual family fiasco. There’s no such thing as a small peaceful dinner and easy clean up during Thanksgiving. The wine starts to hit and the turkey starts to talk and the next thing ya know there is screaming and slamming and no escaping. But, you know better now than to open your mouth and give your two cents, so you just grab some stuffing and the bottle of wine and continue on with your Thanksgiving. The drama will be over before you know it and all will be good in the world because you’re now a whole bottle ahead of everyone else #winning.

Black Friday Madness

It’s always a race to get done cleaning up in time to make it to the stores at midnight. It’s actually a really a sick concept if you think about it, the day is spent being thankful for all that you have, but when the clock strikes midnight people literally become different creatures and will curb stomp you for the newest gadget. Don’t get me wrong it’s super fun and exhilarating to be shopping at midnight but ain’t nobody got the time to wait in those lines for hours. Hide yo kids and hide yo wives because Black Friday makes some people feel some type of way.

Happy Thanksgiving! 

Junior at the University of Central Florida. Radio/Television Broadcast Journalism major.
UCF Contributor