samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Unconventional Lessons College Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I’m currently in my fourth year in college and I must say, I have learned a lot about the topic I am majoring in, the importance of my parents, and how to live with a roommate. But, there are a few other wisdoms that I didn’t realize I would learn throughout my college years that are definitely equally as important.

1. Take every opportunity for buy-one get-one free (BOGO) at the grocery store.

Ballin’ on a budget in college isn’t easy, but it is manageable. Why not make it easier on yourself and pick up that second Ramen Noodle package for free?

2. Life is honestly really hard if you don’t have Netflix.

I’m not quite sure how I would have gotten through countless hours of studying without my 25-minute breaks of watching The Office on Netflix.

3. If you don’t use a laptop to take notes, you’ll most likely miss 80% of what the professor says.

This isn’t like high school where the teacher says every word with a five second gap in between so you have the time to write every thing down.

4. And if you study in bed, there is a a 90% chance you will fall asleep. 

But let’s be honest, that whopping 35 minutes of studying was totally draining, and you deserve a good nap.

5. You may change your major 7 times, and there will still be a good chance of you graduating wondering, “did I major in the right thing?”

All you can do is pray that your field is hiring by the time you graduate.

6. Sleep is the most precious and appreciated pasttime.

But unfortunately, it’s not always an option.

7. It’s okay to not have everything together.

While it may seem like every one around you has every bit of their life figured out, they don’t, and it’s okay if you don’t either. That’s what life in your 20’s is all about.

8. You don’t have to be best friends with everyone.

It’s okay to not have a million and one best friends. College is a time to find life long friends, not to be the most popular gal at school.

Now, let’s get a few things I’ve learned on the education of drinking out of the way:

9. Always take the first ride home from the bar.

While you might be having a good time dancing on the bar pretending to be Violet Sanford in Coyote Ugly, pretty soon you’ll be stuck walking home 2 miles because every one else has already taken their Uber ride home.

10. That leads to my next lesson: Uber is everything.

Seriously, I’ve had a couple Uber drivers become what I would like to call, a close friend. Especially that lucky driver who gets to see you at your best when he drops you off at the bar, and somehow manages to be the driver who picks you up at 3 a.m.

11. After your freshman year, you grow to accept, and even appreciate, the watered down $2 beer at your local bar

As I said, ballin’ on a budget isn’t easy, but there are definitely ways around it if you’re willing to make a slight change in taste.

12. Pedialyte is a god sent when it comes to hangovers.

This magical potion found in a Publix near you honestly makes any hang over sap feel like a newborn baby. Word of advice: best results are achieved when drank right before going to bed.

13. This leads into me quickly learning that being hung over is not an approved excuse for things.

Trust me, if you call off work every Friday because you’ve “caught a cold” your boss will quickly catch on.

14. Alcohol and texting don’t mix.

This should be a common lesson, but somehow some of us never seem to grasp it. I’ve personally learned this lesson the hard way one too many times on Saturday nights.

15. Lastly, bring your own toilet paper to the bar.

Lord knows how challenging this issue is for girls. I wont even go into the specifics.

UCF Contributor