Thrift Shopping Hidden Treasures: Looking Through the Rubble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

One lesson I’ve learned throughout my life is that people only spend more money because they want to. Hipster and vintage apparel are in abundance in local thrift stores like Goodwill, the Salvation Army, and mom and pop shops. And most importantly, it feels good to do a little digging and get your hands dirty for a good deal. Here’s what kind of treasures you can find in a thrift store hunt.

Flannels:

An accent to every millennial’s wardrobe: the flannel. For both guys and girls, a flannel could be the perfect thing to tie together an outfit that needs a little something. Don’t pay the 25 dollars for the ones from places like Tilly’s though, you could find a great deal at a local thrift store. Typically these range from about $3-$6.

Mom Jeans:

One of the newest fashion trends of our generation, mom jeans are making a comeback. “Mom Jeans” can be defined as high-waisted jeans with baggy legs, a tight waist, and tight ankles. The key to finding these gems can be found on the backside of the pants. The best ones you will find are the ones with brands like Levi, Wrangler, and other recognizable names. These are the ones with large pockets on the backs of the jeans, and long zippers on the front. Typically these will range from $5-$15 depending where you go.

Grandpa Sweaters:

A personal favorite, “grandpa sweaters”, add a unique and vintage touch to any outfit. These sweaters can come in neutral colors, 90s themes, holiday getups, and come with random printed phrases. The perfect top to keep you warm, in style, and one-of-a-kind. Sweaters can range between $3-$6.

High-Waisted Shorts:

Another fashion trend that girls everywhere love. They tuck your stomach, go really well with crop tops, and add a hipster-esque vibe to any outfit, you know, for the sake of aesthetic. High waisted shorts are always easy to find in thrift stores, and if you can’t find them in shorts form, you can always do some DIY to make them your own! The same rules apply for shorts as jeans: look for Levis, large pockets, long zippers, and for shorts, make sure the legs are big enough/not too big to be rolled/cut into shorts. Here’s a great how to video here for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWIX3WaXEs

Classic Books:

Remember in high school when you were assigned that Fitzgerald book, but never actually got around to reading it? Are you curious about it now? Thrift stores are the perfect place to get these gems for really low prices! All of the classics are usually taking up most of the bookshelves with multiple copies. Pick up a paperback version for less than a dollar, or hard covers for less than 2! Prices for books always vary depending where you shop, but either way, it beats the prices on Amazon.

Miscellaneous:

The limits for what can be found in a thrift store does not exist. Aside from clothing, shoppers can find unique coffee mugs with funny sayings on them, chalkboards that add to the aesthetic of a study space, old records to add to the collection, or even rollerblades to add some fun nostalgia in your life!

Mariah is a Junior Social Sciences major with minors in Journalism, Political Science, and Sociology. You can always find her in a local coffee shop, a yoga class, or writing a never-ending amount of papers. Always eager to talk politics, go on adventures, and experience something new. With dreams to work for a non-profit organization that gives back to the world, and eventually take those experiences in to the poitical sphere, making the world a better place is always a priority. Follow Mariah on social media if you want to learn how to get on board, find cool places to go on adventures, or learn more about what's going on in the world around us! 
UCF Contributor