Meet Former Walt Disney Entertainment Vice President, Ron Logan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

From movies to theme parks, Ron Logan brings his entertainment expertise to class at the Rosen College of Hospitality.

Growing up in the Midwest, Ron found his love for entertainment at young age. He said it allowed him to be something different than he thought he was.

Picking up instruments such as the trumpet and violin, he also found himself in the dance studio taking tap and ballet.

Once the Logan family moved to California, Ron got his foot in the door with Disney and their band.

“My first time on the Disney studio lot, we did a TV pilot” he said, “the pilot didn’t sell but I realized I liked all of this.”

That’s when he hit the ground running.

He started playing in Latin bands and making money before he could even drive. 

Ron used what he had learned throughout high school to start teaching, helping him get through college.

While working on a movie set, Ron learned some great advice.

“Make sure the guy that hired you coffee cup is never empty.”

Going from band to band, Ron was able to get the experience he needed to come back to Disney. 

“I played in the Winter Olympics for Disney, parades and the first trumpet unit.”

He found that the entertainment industry just began to build. Once he was in something, it’ll add something else and just kept going.

Ron knew where he stood with his talent. Even though he says he wasn’t perfect, he knew he was close to perfect and he made sure he got the lessons needed to keep going.

“I got the offer work for Disney after the Winter Olympics,” he said, “they asked me to get the music director and lead the world band.”

After two years, he then became the Director in Entertainment for Disneyland Resort. Two and a half years later he became the Vice President of Entertainment for the opening of EPCOT.

Ron founded Disney’s Theatrical Productions in 1993 starting with Beauty and the Beast: a New Musical.

“The story is so cool, so simple, but exotic. Who could ever love a beast?”

This simple story inspired him to bring Beauty and the Beast to life. With his experience in conducting Broadway shows, Ron knew how to tell a story and give people the warm feeling while watching it. The musical ran for 5,461 shows making it the tenth longest running production in Broadway history.

Ron faced the challenge of creating a Lion King parade without “any people.” So when he knew that was close to impossible, he bought the floats from Disneyland in California to create what we know now as the Festival of the Lion King.

The idea was to create the story of the Lion King not just recreate the movie. The tribe stayed true to the African roots and everyone else was in mask, an idea he got from the Swan Lake ballet.  The 20-minute parade lasted four years in Disneyland and the stage show was created in Disney’s Animal Kingdom. 

“We find out we have some talent somewhere, and somebody inspires it, and you know your good at it, that mentoring worked for me and it gave me discipline.”

Ron had mentors to get him where he is today and by being a teacher he guides the next generation of entertainment.

“I love teaching because I can be a mentor if someone if interested”

Ron wants to stay in the area and he enjoys wearing different hats. He’s proud of the program he helped put togther at Rosen and is looking foward to the next group of students in the entertainment field. 

Since he started teaching as an Associate Professor, Ron has been honored with numerous awards. The most prestige was in 2007 when he was honored at The Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California, with the Disney Legends Award for Parks and Resorts. This award only being presented to individuals who have made an impact to The Walt Disney Company over the years.

Ron Logan has a long list of positions in Walt Disney Entertainment, creating shows and experiences people travel all around the world to witness. His visions come to life and produces memories that will last a lifetime.

“The only thing that stops people from being successful is giving up.”

UCF Contributor