Max Roberts’ Productive Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Most college students during their sophomore year are not lucky enough to be published, In fact majority of students find themselves using the break to cool down from finals and bond with friends.

“During the break I was working at Tokyo Tapas near campus and also volunteering with IGN.com.”

Max Roberts, current student at the University of Central Florida, chose not to waste any time over his winter break, during his time volunteering he reached out to Samuel Clayborn, managing editor, who told him about a freelancing opportunity.

“I use to work at Kmart, and one day I was in the back room sorting through the towels in the home department and I realized something,” Roberts said,” I could find a way to mix my love doe video games and writing.”

Roberts got the chance to live out his dream job.

The freelance opportunity was to write a guide about the video game titled “Tales from the Borderlands.”

“I had played fames from the same company before, but had never played “Tales from the Borderlands,” explained Roberts in regards to his first big break.

In just a few short days, Roberts had to mastered the game and write down all of his new knowledge for readers.

He succeeded.

The specific game is written episodically. “I was in charge of writing the scenarios that would come of making specific choices in episode 1.”

His article could be found on IGN.com full of both pictures taken by Roberts as well as helpful information on how to enjoy the game to its fullest.

Video games were not all that he spent time focusing on over the winter break. Roberts also enjoyed bringing out his childish side on his time off at none other than Disney World.

“Being an annual pass holder my girlfriend and I find ourselves at the parks a lit this break,” mentioned Roberts.

Roberts and his girlfriend, Abby, a science education student at the University of Central Florida, found themselves adventuring through Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom.

Four parks in one month might be a challenge for some people out there but for the happy couple of over a year it was nothing short of magical.

“We use the fast passes basically every time we go to the parks, said Roberts when asked about how he avoided the Christmas break lines, “ and score the parks for the shorter lines in between.”

Buying tickets in advance when planning to attend Walt Disney World has its perks. Any person attending the parks with a ticket can download the app called mydiseyexperience on their smart phones to get the latest like updates and any other useful park information.

As soon as a ticket is purchased customers like Roberts can reserve their fast passes anywhere from 30 days in advance to 60 days in advance if they booked a stay in one of the Disney hotels.

Overall “I had a vey successful winter break in pursuing my dreams as well as bonding with my girlfriend.”

Roberts and his girlfriend are now caught up on the show “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and carrying over their new love for the show “Gilmore Girls” into the new year. 

UCF Contributor