Ke$ha’s “Die Young” Pulled From Radio Stations After Newtown Tragedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It has been reported that Ke$ha’s newest hit “Die Young” has been removed from many radio station playlists across the country following the Newtown school shooting last Friday in respect to the victims of this horrible tragedy.

The song has lost 19 million listeners since Friday, dropping from its number 3 spot on radio playlists.

Although the song has no direct correlation with the heartbreak going on in Newtown, Connecticut, it doesn’t seem appropriate to be airing a song that repeats “die young” after such a horrible event that claimed the lives of 20 young children.

Ke$ha tweeted, “I understand. I had my very own issue with “die young” for this reason. I did NOT want to sing those lyrics and I was FORCED to”

A minute later she also tweeted, “I’m so so so sorry for anyone who has been effected by this tragedy.and I understand why my song is now inappropriate. words cannot express.”

The last time a song plunged this quickly was when the Dixie Chicks were banned from country radio stations after criticizing President Bush back in 2003.