Health Myths: SOLVED!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It seems like almost every day there is a new health trend spurring up or a new rumor about a certain product that causes a health problem. But what is actually true? I have made a list of 5 myths that I have heard in the past years. Now we will finally know if they are true or false.

Number 1: Deodorant Causes Alzheimer’s
VERDICT: Undecided

This one is just about as crazy as it sounds. It is rumored that putting on deodorant can cause you to eventually be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or cancer because of the aluminum in it. However, there is really not enough evidence found to say that this is true. In fact, there is much more aluminum internalized through breathing, drinking, eating, and some aluminum is even found in vaccines. So in reality it is not very likely that you will get “old-timers” disease from the use of deodorant. Of course there are those super-rare occasions where doctors have found that, especially in women after shaving their underarms, there are nicks and cuts that could cause aluminum leakage that links to breast cancer. But like I said before, there is not nearly enough results saying that this is possible. If you are worried and want to be extra careful, I recommend using natural and aluminum-free deodorant.

Number 2: Cranberry Juice Gets Rid of UTIs 
VERDICT: True

This is not a myth; it is fact.  However, you cannot just drink a cranberry juice cocktail and expect that to work. When I say cranberry juice, I mean pure, fresh-squeezed, not from concentrate cranberry juice. Yes, it is horribly disgusting, but it’s the magic potion. If you get through that bottle, you can go ahead and say you are cured. Cranberry juice keeps bacteria from sticking to the bladder. It is a natural antibiotic that helps in preventing a treating those dreadful urinary tract infections.

Number 3: Stretching Before Running Does Not Prevent Injuries
VERDICT: Undecided

Stretching before running neither prevents nor causes injuries during your running routine. Studies have shown that in a group of runners who had a routine of stretching before they ran were actually more susceptible to injury if they did not stretch before each time they ran. Also, age and weight are a major factor. It has been proven that if you are older or have a higher BMI then you are at greater risk of being injured. Of two groups, a group that stretched and a group that did not, they were both equally at risk of being hurt. The most common injuries of runners are groin pulls, foot/ankle sprains, and knee injuries. But there is no significant difference in injuries among stretchers or non-stretchers. The best thing to do in regards to running is to stick with your daily routine.

Number 4: Barefoot Running
VERDICT: Personal Preference

This issue we have seen a little bit of around campus with people actually walking around barefoot as well as the popular use of those shoes that mold to the shape of your foot. But the question still needs to be asked: Is this actually healthy? What studies have shown is that you should not switch to bare feet if you have gotten used to running in cushioned running shoes. If you plan on making the switch, it needs to be a gradual change due to the fact that those “running” muscles in your feet have grown weak because they rely on your shoes to do the work. Begin with running slowly to build the muscles back up. It has been found that those runners who suffer repeated foot injuries might actually benefit with running in bare feet. It all depends on how your foot prefers to be placed on the ground. Running with shoes, there is more pressure placed on the heels of the feet whereas with running barefooted, more pressure is placed on the balls of your feet. If you have no issue with running in proper shoes, then do not change your ways. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

Number 5: Milk is Bad for Your Skin
VERDICT: True

I have on good authority from my mother that drinking milk saved her skin while she was in high school. However, we may want to listen to a doctor to figure out the reasons why this myth is true. As much as I hate to believe this one, there has been multiple studies saying that because of the hormones in milk it adds to the already hormone-y bodies of teenagers. Many of the cows that milk is produced from are injected with growth hormones that help them produce larger amounts of milk. Many teenagers are already prone to acne, so all of these excess hormones do not exactly help. I personally am in the middle of this myth. Milk has plenty of benefits that overrule acne, so I definitely encourage still having your daily dose of calcium.

These myths definitely cleared some things up for me, so hopefully they were helpful to you all as well.

Keegan is a sophomore at UCF majoring in Environmental Studies and is part of the HCUCF team as an editorial writer. Keegan is obsessed with all things Disney and is currently training for a marathon. If she survives, she will attend law school and dedicate her life to making the hospitality industry as environmentally friendly as possible.