This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We all cope with envy from time to time. As college students striving to be our best, envy is only a normal emotion. We want that internship our roommate gets. It’s just natural.

Envy is defined as: wanting what someone else has, or feeling inferior to another person.

We all need to learn how to be content with our lives.

For me, it usually has to do with money. It’s not fair her parents can afford to pay her rent and tuition. And why can’t I have Tory Burch flats? College has taught me different sides of myself and envy is not one that I like.

Why do we feel these things? Well, for one, it’s because we are human. At the root of envy lies dissatisfaction with your self-image. Or you perceive yourself differently than reality.

Maybe on a more positive note, envy can lead you to achieve more. It is a motivator, but only if you can control it. If your roommate lands a perfect internship, it can motivate you to find an internship.

Now don’t get me wrong, it’s okay to say, “I’m so jeal!” to your best friend who just got a new Michael Kors purse. But it’s another thing to envy her for it.

With the spring semester coming to a close, we all need motivation to get through it. I’d suggest maybe set your envy aside and use it to end the semester with a bang, or those straight A’s you’ve been working on…