The Feared and Fearless of Tanning: Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Almost every collegiette tans. Well it seems that way to me anyway. We also live in Florida, where year-round tans are common and practically expected. If you’re not up to tan standards, everyone assumes you’ve been sick.

Not until after everyone came back from spring break cruises and beach adventures did I notice my pale complexion.

“How did I get this pale?!” I asked Jara Lipman, our Publicity and Events Director, at a recent Her Campus meeting.

“Go to a tanning place,” she said perfectly calm.

“A tanning place?” I said. “I hate tanning places!”

And here’s why: I’m afraid of burning my butt, getting skin cancer or wrinkles, and getting stuck in the tanning bed (Final Destination anyone?).

Jara is a tanning veteran, and even admits her obsession. She also says it is the only place she gets ten minutes to herself. I see her point. Tanning seems kind of relaxing until I envision being electrocuted.

I have been to a tanning salon, but only twice. And I’ve only laid in a bed once. I usually opt for spray tans if I need a quick blast of orange.

I don’t like beds because of my fears and the wait for results. I want to be tan now. Not in two weeks.

Maybe I should give tanning a second chance? Jara definitely thinks so. I was considering it, until the day after our conversation she texted me that she accidentally sunburnt her butt. Well that makes my decision a little wobbly.

So this is what I have decided. I am going to do the research. I won’t be biased, because even I want a nice tan.

Over the next week, I’ll talk to tanning salon patrons and hopefully an owner, maybe even a doctor. I’m here to find out the truth about tanning, and what exactly it does to our skin. Is that bronze glow really worth it? HCUCF is going to find out!