Everything You Need to Know Before an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Whether you’re applying for a job or a leadership position on campus, interviews can be intimidating for young people without lots of experience. For those who have never had a job or never had to interview for a job, interviews can be scary and daunting. Given the right mindset, however, interviews are a great way to get to know your potential employer and see if a position is the right fit for you.

Through various situations, I have accumulated lots of interview experience; both as an interviewee and an interviewer. I first learned a pageant style of interview, which is a great gateway into job interviews. With pageant interviews, the goal is to present yourself in a positive light while keeping a conversation going. The skills and techniques learned in pageant interviews can be incorporated into other interviews to really bump up your game and give you an advantage over other applicants.

The most important part of an interview is to sell your platform. In stereotypical pageantry, this is where you would hear a contestant say “for the children!” A platform is a concept that you want your interviewers to know about you, regardless of the situation. When applying for a job, developing a platform is a great way to take control of the interview. Platforms are very dependent on the role you are looking to have. They can range from social change to organized plans for what you would like to do with your role. After you’ve figured out your platform, try to incorporate it as often and subtly as possible. A platform is like a subliminal message for your interviewers to tell them how much better their company would be with you in it.

Using a platform is most effective with practice, since it can be difficult to think on your feet while you’re being asked questions. However, if you focus on your goals and aspirations while preparing, you’ll naturally curve your answers toward those concepts during the actual interview.

When preparing for your interview, it’s a good idea to practice your greeting. For example, most people are impressed by firm handshakes. That might mean shaking your roommates hand twenty times until you find a level of firmness you are comfortable with. Also, choose clothing and makeup that makes you feel the most comfortable and powerful while staying within the guidelines of your interviewer. Clothing can make a big difference in confidence, and confidence is key in interviews.

The most important thing to remember while interviewing is to stay calm. A common misconception about interviews is that they are interrogations for potential employees, rather than opportunities to find out how well you fit. Employers are trying to get to know you, just as you should be getting to know them. When potential employers prompt you to ask them questions, that is your chance to find out if you can see yourself being happy at that job. You liking your employer is equally as important as them liking you. Feel free to take notes on their answers, just as they might do while you are answering. Taking notes will not only help you remember what they say, but it will also make you look interested and dedicated.

When interviewing, always remember to let your true self come out. Most of the time, employers value people who are honest and genuine. When being interviewed for a position, remember the ultimate goal: to see if you and the position are a good fit. Do not ever feel like you need to change yourself to fit a position. Instead, find positions that will allow you to thrive and be the best version of yourself.

The more you practice interviews, the easier they will get. Interviews are no different than getting to know a new friend. As long as you are authentic and positive, you will be able to master any interview.

UCF Contributor