Color Trends for Summer 2016 Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Pastels have always been the go-to for hot weather, and this year’s Pantone colors (the pale pink of Rose Quartz and the gentle blue of Serenity) fit right in, but the Spring/Summer 2016 runway collections are reinventing the summer pastels with pops of brightness! Here are some of the hottest colors for your summer 2016 fashions.

The Purples

Lavender: Tadashi Shoji’s ethereal Spring/Summer collection knocked us off our feet with his gentle use of floral violet tones, and gentle, misty lavender brings a new softness to summer.

Indigo: With blooms to spare, Tadashi Shoji kicked his usage of lavender up a notch for something a little more dramatic in this stunning indigo gown. Add an indigo statement piece to your wardrobe this summer for an ensemble that’s as pretty as it is mysterious.

The Whites

Bone: A woman in white conveys both power and fresh serenity, but a woman in bone—cream’s more mature cousin, best worn with intriguing textures and subtle patterns—gives white a whole new dimension. Bring an element of calm to your summer outfits with bone staples.

Sheer white: While stark whites gave the Spring/Summer runway a clean look, this Stella McCartney dress and its sheer, lace-like quality is bright and soft all at once.

The Blues

Serenity: One of Pantone’s two colors of the year for a reason, this misty blue can be everything in a summer wardrobe—from professional to beach-ready. This Dior outfit topped with a statement sweater in Serenity is one part adorable, one part eccentric.

Limpet shell: Christian Siriano took baby blue to something a little more daring and adventurous in this gauzy aqua gown that just screams a summer vacation. Whether you’re planning a getaway or just getting to class, a splash of limpet shell brightens any summer day.

The Pinks

Rose Quartz: Pale pinks are staples for warmer weather, but they’ve never looked sweeter than in the barely-there Rose Quartz shades from this year’s Pantone color choices. This Emporio Armani look manages to be both professional and fairylike at the same time.

Dusty coral: Another Armani creation, this look features an adorably summery patterned pantsuit with a muted coral as its base. Corals are are always a summer staple, but it’s even more versatile when toned down just a bit.

The Greens

Emerald: For something bright, unapologetic, and still unmistakably warm, a flash of green during the spring and summer never goes wrong. Giambattista Valli’s statement gown would suit a goddess of spring as well as a summer vacationer.

Image 1, 2345, 6, 78910

Victoria is a senior studying Broadcast Journalism and minoring in Criminal Justice at UCF, and is also the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UCF. When Victoria is not attending classes, you can find her and her giant hair (it's full of secrets) in the Student Union pretending to study, but actually watching Criminal Minds on Netflix. Her dreams include holding a puppy for three days straight, and marrying Jimmy Fallon on the stage of Saturday Night Live. If you see Victoria around campus and she hasn't quoted Beyonce three times, run because you have found an imposter! This lovely Italian lives for Beyonce quotes (ladies, tell 'em) and fashionable boots. If you like cheesy jokes, cute pics of animals dressed like humans, or embarrassing stories of her life, you should follow her on Twitter @imunprevictable, or her step-by-step blog on Tumblr on how to survive college! *Does Single Ladies dance out of room*