A Beginners Guide to Training For a Half Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Many collegiettes consider training for a half marathon, but there always seems to be reasons not to start training. “13.1 miles is wayyy too long. I’m too busy. It’s too hot. I don’t like waking up early.” Blah, blah, blah.

Put the excuses aside, ladies! Training for a half marathon is an extremely rewarding experience. Not only will you feel accomplished after completing your 13.1 goal, but you’ll experience many health benefits as well. Once you start running, you’ll be hooked. Use these tips as a basic guide to start your half marathon training.

Before Training:

The best thing about training for a half marathon is that it’s an awesome workout and it doesn’t require a lot of expensive equipment. You don’t need a gym membership and you don’t need to go out and buy a new outfit to train. There are, however, a few things you will want to splurge on before beginning your training.

A decent pair of running shoes. Running shoes can be expensive, but when selecting your training shoes – aim for quality. Your running shoes are your best friend while training. They will protect your feet and prevent you from getting injured. If you haven’t bought new running shoes in a while, I recommend you pick up a new pair before training. It is suggested you replace your running shoes every 300 to 400 miles, so chances are you are due for a new pair.

Some sort of running water bottle. Sure, you don’t need to carry a water bottle during your three-mile run. But when you start running seven, eight, and nine miles at a time, you will need hydration during your run. It is also a good idea to get used to taking sips of water during your run since you will be taking sips of water come race day. The most popular option is the CamelBak pack. These can be pretty pricey, so if you are looking for a cheaper option try looking into handheld bottles or bottles that can be worn on your hip.

If this is your first time training for a half marathon, you are also going to want to mentally prepare yourself for what’s to come. With work, demanding class schedules, and extracurricular activities, motivating yourself to wake up early or go on long runs can be difficult. Set a goal to work towards! Set a time that you would like to finish in or tell yourself that you will reward yourself with something if you finish the race. This will make training a breeze!

Training…dun, dun, dun!

First and foremost, make a plan! Achieving your goals is much more realistic if you develop a plan to get there. Here are some suggestions:
– Find a group to run with. It is a lot easier to wake up early or run a long distance if you have a group motivating you to do so.
– Look online at Runners World for some training plans and tips to help you get started.

Revaluate your diet. You want to make sure you are eating a balanced, nutritious diet full of carbohydrates, protein, healthy fats, and minerals when in training. Your workouts will be much more effective if you are eating properly. Long-distance running requires you to eat more calories than you would normally consume. Running burns so many calories; there is no need to crash diet when training!

Cross train. Running every day can get a bit boring. Cross training not only spices up your workout, but it also helps develop strength which will help your pace and prevent injury. Take a spin class, do some weight training, or swim some laps to get your cross training in!

See, training for a half marathon doesn’t seem so scary, does it? Training for a half marathon can be done in about 12 weeks, so you’ll be done in no time! Get up, get running, and run that 13.1 miles you’ve been talking about!

Sources:
http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/192
http://www.halfmarathons.net/training_tips_schedule_beginner_runners.html
http://www.livestrong.com/article/239240-the-best-running-shoes-for-a-half-marathon/
http://www.active.com/running/Articles/The-Best-Cross-Training-for-Runners.htm

Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler