America’s Next Top Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Nicole Lucas is the young, blonde bombshell on this season’s cycle of America’s Next Top Model. Her passion for modeling is something that is truly remarkable and contagious. When she isn’t busy showing off her modeling skills, you can find Nicole buried in the books. This vibrant sophomore is studying Psychology at UCF and is looking forward to exploring the field.

Ladies, if you spot Nicole on campus, don’t be afraid to say hello! She may be a TV celebrity now, but she is still as humble as ever! Through this simple interview you can see she has the perseverance and
talent to make it in academics, modeling, and life!

Q: When did you decide you wanted to model?
A: I’ve been told I should model since I was relatively young, but personally, I decided I wanted to model when I was fifteen. I saw Gemma Ward on the cover of Teen Vogue and immediately wanted to be just like her.

Q: What made you want to try out for Americas Next Top Model?
A: It’s funny because I used to think the show was terrible for a model’s career and swore I’d never try out. Once they announced that the prizes included a contract with IMG and a cover and editorial in Vogue Italia, I quickly changed my mind about the show and submitted myself. IMG and Vogue Italia are two things coveted by a majority of models.

Q: How did you calm your nerves during the casting call?
A: To calm my nerves, I pray for confidence and believe that everything happens for a reason.  I’m used to going to castings and I know that not everyone will like my look…and that’s perfectly fine with me. Rejection in this industry should never be taken personally; it’s simply a matter of preference.

Q: What do you think you brought to the table that the other girls didn’t?
A: Honestly, I think that not too many girls share my level of ambition. They get caught up in wanting fame from being on TV and lose sight of the ultimate goal— to be a successful model.  I treat modeling as a profession, which seems to be rare amongst working models my age. When I take time off of school for modeling, I do everything in my power to make it work and come home with a successful endeavor under my belt. I study models, agencies, designers, runway shows, and editorial’s like it’s my major.

Q: What was the overall experience like?
A: Overall, the experience I had with ANTM was completely different than what I expected. I thoroughly enjoyed the modeling aspect, however, I hated the reality TV part of it. I’d much rather do the competition off-camera with modeling being the sole focus.

Q: What was the most rewarding moment?
A: The most amazing memories I have from the show included meeting Tyra and working/meeting with renowned photographers, designers, and models. It was an absolutely once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Q: What was your biggest fear?
A: Going into the show, my biggest fear was how the other girls would act towards me. I despise drama and pride myself on never taking part in it. Since the show is usually packed full of drama, I was considerably nervous how I would fit into it all. I also have a very low tolerance for fake people; I see right through them. I was worried there might be a lot of fake girls on the show.

Q: How did it feel representing UCF?
A: I feel so happy to have represented UCF on the show. I’d like to believe I’m a good role-model and will (hopefully) bring positive attention to UCF.

Q: What advice would you give someone wanting to model?
A: The best advice I can give, is to stay true to yourself and your values. Everyone will try to change you in this industry but the truth of the matter is that you won’t ever fit right in someone else’s personality. No designer/casting director has the same vision for his or her campaign, editorial, or runway show so taking rejection personally is not conducive to success. Modeling is all about timing; your look could be out one season and in the next…patience and perseverance are definitely a must in this industry.

Q: Did you find yourself acting out of character on set?
A: I think being sleep-deprived and stressed out caused everyone to be on edge. I thankfully never acted out of character though…I may not have been extremely entertaining but I certainly remained true to myself.

Q: Who/What is your inspiration?  
A: A quote by Eleanor Roosevelt inspires me more than anything. “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the things which you think you cannot do.”

Q: Who is your idol?
A: I typically try not to idolize people, but I’m not going to lie…if I could be Rachel Zoe reincarnated, I would definitely not complain.

Q: How could girls in Orlando get started in the modeling world?
A: It’s slightly hard to get started modeling in Orlando. I’ve never really modeled here because there isn’t a market for high-fashion. If any girls in Orlando want to do high-fashion modeling I would highly suggest submitting to agencies in Miami or NYC. The first step would be to have someone take digital snapshots of you with no-makeup and in a bikini, then find the contact information for agency submissions and submit yourself.  If you have the time and funds, attending open-calls at agencies is always another option.

Q: Do people in Orlando recognize you?
A: No one has come up to me and said anything, so I think it’s safe to assume everyone thinks I’m just an average Joe…or Jane, rather.

Q: How does it feel to be recognized by fans?
A: Right now I only have fans contacting me online. It’s a bit weird for me because I don’t consider myself any different than them, but I’m extremely flattered to already have people rooting for me on the show.

Q: Is there anything you miss about being a “normal” run of the mill college student?
A: Of course not, considering I’m still as normal as ever!

Continue to follow Nicole on her journey. Tune into the season premiere of America’s Next Top Model on the CW at 8pm! Round up your girlfriends, pile on the couch, and enjoy this Wednesday night guilty pleasure!