7 Former High School Classmates You’ll Bump Into Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

There are many reasons to be excited for winter break in college- a break from classes, the chance to catch up with family, optimal time to binge watch Netflix. It’s the time of year when calories don’t count and the Hallmark channel releases a whole new lineup of feel-good Christmas movies. However, going back home often means running into people you typically haven’t seen since graduation, usually at the most inconvenient times. Even if you went to a large high school, like I did, the odds of bumping into old classmates while running errands or going to the movies are at an all time high during winter break. Christmas is always the best time of year- so long as you’re prepared for an impromptu high school reunion with these 7 former classmates:

The Girl Who’s Got It All Together- Even back in high school everyone knew she was going places. She was the first one to get an acceptance letter from her dream school. You’ll probably run into her in line at Starbucks, as she orders whatever drink has the least calories and most caffeine. She’ll quickly tell you about the latest updates in her life- she just started a new internship, her triathlon last month went great, and she’ll be studying abroad in Spain next semester. Oh, and she’s engaged. The worst part is she’s not even trying to show off her success; she’s just naturally more put together than the rest of us. While her successes may send you into a quarter-life crisis you’re still glad she’s doing so well for herself. Now, if you could just find out her skincare routine, her complexion is absolutely flawless… 

Your High School Crush Who Has Somehow Gotten More Attractive- You will definitely run into him while roaming the aisles of Target in your sweatpants and no makeup. You spoke to him maybe twice in English class back in the day, and then proceeded to plan your entire wedding. The college life looks good on him- he somehow avoided the Freshman 15 (damn him) and finally learned how to dress. He’s probably got 3 girlfriends in his college town but you liked him back when he had braces and the Justin Bieber haircut, so there’s that. 

​The One-Upper-​ This gal/guy is the real life version of Kristen Wigg’s Penelope character from Saturday Night Live. You unsuccessfully attempt to avoid eye contact but get roped into the comparison game anyway. They spend the entire conversation trying to make their life seem way more interesting than anything you’ve got going on, which is both annoying and amusing to watch. Don’t they know winter break is the time for baking and Christmas playlists, not competitiveness? It’s best to quietly slip out of this encounter before they can fish too much information out of you.

The Quiet Bookworm Turned Party Girl/Frat Guy- This was the kid who used to remind the teacher about homework assignments. After 4 years of extra credit and SAT prep they went off to college and ditched their textbooks for the club scene. These days, their social media is full of red solo cups, beer pong, and tailgates. You’ll probably do a double take when you bump into them. Do their parents know about all of this?

The Hot Mess Express- They were a mess in high school and some things never change. They seem to be constantly recovering from a hangover and yet always ready for a night out. They tell you all about their latest rave even though you asked how their classes were going. And no one is really sure what their major is. Sure, they may not have it all together, but they still know how to bring the party. 

The Old Friend You Now Share Awkward, Forced Conversation With- Losing touch with close friends after high school graduation is inevitable. Everyone transitions to new chapters of their life- new schools, new relationships, new zip codes. You may now only share an occasional text with the people you used to eat lunch with every day for 4 years. Seeing old friends for the first time in a while can sometimes be disappointing. It can feel strange sharing so many memories with someone you barely have anything in common with anymore. This isn’t always a bad thing; it just means you are growing up and evolving. And those great memories will remain even if the friendship is no longer what it once was.

Your Best Friend Who (Thankfully) Hasn’t Changed One Bit- If you and your best friend ended up attending different universities, you know the struggle. With both of you living hectic lives you may only be able to meet up in person every few months. Winter break is the perfect time to catch up with your ride-or-die. She’s the one person you can relay all your college drama to because she’s completely removed from the situation. And cyberstalking your old high school classmates is just so much fun. While you love the friends you’ve made at college, there’s just something special about reuniting with the people who knew you during your awkward and unfortunate Twilight phase. 

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ashley Garrett is a second year student and journalism major at UCF. Besides serving as treasurer of her awesome sorority, Sigma Phi Lambda, she enjoys writing, singing along to Sia, and reading anything from Sarah Dessen to Toni Morrison. She's passionate about Bath and Body Works scents, historical dramas, and equality for all. Her ultimate goal is to travel the world and and her spirit animal is Kelly Kapoor from The Office. You can follow her on Instagram @smashley_97!
UCF Contributor