This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Name: Sam Shackelford
Grade: Senior?
Hometown: Woodland/ Napa, CA
Major: Economics and Communication

How have you kept yourself involved on campus over the past four years?: In high school, I played football and really got into it. So, when I arrived in Davis, I decided to join the club rugby team on which I have been a starter for the last four years. I am also involved in the fire department on campus, which offers a good training program that acts as a steppingstone for students hoping to become firefighters after college. You work one shift per week, and get training and hands on experience, while also having the opportunity to live in the firehouse.

What do you do off-campus?: I like to hunt and fish.

So, you want to be a firefighter. What inspired you to want to do that?: I either want to be a firefighter or in the FBI. I was inspired by my family to do something that helps people and contributes to society. Also, I don’t want a job that’s behind a desk, I really enjoy hands on work and I like being active, which is why I pursued rugby.

What have you enjoyed most about your time in Davis?: I like that it is very diverse, and just an all around laid back,  non-materialistic community. I am going to miss the ability to bike everywhere, live a life where my only real concern other than school is rugby, and I’ll definitely miss those lower division communication classes.

As a senior, do you have any words of wisdom for your younger Davis peers?:  Make sure you don’t spend the four years stuck in a book…get out there and meet people.

Do you have an embarrassing Davis moments your friends will never let you forget? Well, sophomore year during a rugby game, I was running the ball when the tackler pulled my pants down all the way down to my ankles. I was totally exposed for 30 yards, but it was a big game and totally worth it.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?: I would love to go to New Zealand because it is the rugby capital and known for being a great place to adventure outdoors.

If you could switch lives with one person dead or alive for one day, who would you choose and why?: Rob Dyrdek, although I’m far to uncoordinated to skateboard, I wouldn’t mind being titled as an actor, skateboarder, entrepreneur, and reality TV star.

Who do you look up to and why?: I really look up to both my parents.  My mom has fully supported everything I’ve chosen to do throughout my life.  My dad passed away earlier this year, but he taught me that life isn’t about material items, and you need to enjoy the small things in life while you can. Both of them them have been perfect role models for me.  

What is something most people don’t know about you?:  I grew up in the sticks (aka middle of nowhere) between two farms, one in Napa and the other in Woodland. I spent my summers picking tomatoes, and I herded cattle and sheep. My high school graduating class was really small, with about 70 students and the closest grocery store was about 25 minutes away.

Quickie survey with the Campus Cutie:

Britney or Christina? Britney

Favorite Cartoon Character? Cartman

Favorite Late Night Snack Spot? Taco bell

Three pet peeves: Know-it-alls, girls wearing Uggs, frat boys wearing letters at the gym

Favorite movies?: The Hangover, Scarface, Saving Private Ryan

Blonde of Brunette?: Blonde

Favorite Feature in a Girl?: Smile

Boxers or Briefs?: Boxer briefs

Guilty Pleasure: Watching extreme make-over home addition while sipping wine

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.